We've had snow but not so much that we need to dig ourselves out of it. Still, -11 degrees Celsius (12 degrees Farhenheit) is winter enough for me! At night I've taken to making up a hot water bottle and putting it at the foot of our beds.
Someone asked why we don't have heat on at night and the main reason is that we heat our rooms with small kerosene heaters that we watch closely even when we are awake (turning them off if we leave the room for any length of time) and we certainly wouldn't want them to be burning while we are asleep... There is always the fear of earthquakes where we have to jump to turn the stoves off. We do have air-conditioners (heaters) but besides the fact that we don't like the heat blowing on us, electricity costs are exhorbitant and so we use that as little as possible... Maybe a half an hour before going to bed I'll turn it on to heat the room and then turn it off as soon as I get into bed.
The cold weather is conducive to something sweet and warm to eat and so this week we enjoyed a mid-morning snack of omochi and sweet bean "soup". Oshiruko. We still have a lot of omochi left over from New Year's that I froze and so with packaged oshiruko that comes in heatable pouches, I served this easy snack. This is a favorite of Tetsu's.
On another day our comfort food was straight from Betty Crocker's recipe book and I made Apple crisp.
And because the oven was heating up anyway, I also baked up some sweet potatoes that M-san had given me. Both eastern and western sweets were thoroughly enjoyed.
For the past couple of days, Tetsu has been staying at the crosswalk for the whole hour that I'm there. The snow had been enough that he spent the first couple days spreading sand for me and sweeping a path to the school ground. He loves this twig broom that he uses and he goes through many of them during the year... They are inexpensive and sturdy and he will use them for leaves and snow and even to clean out road gutters. Today, though the snow was gone, he was sweeping a far off sidewalk for the children who come from outer areas of the district. Tetsu is always working!
I'm still quilting daily on my Plaidish quilt. I've decided to stitch-in-the-ditch so this is a project that will continue awhile. I wondered why Tetsu took this photo but look closely and you will find an interloper...Chip has found a nice, warm hiding place. I didn't want to disturb her so I let her have my quilt and I did some more drawing.
A farmhouse along the road.
Marlene and I were comparing our recent doctor's visits and bemoaning the fact that we have reached the age when there is something that needs fixing or medication. I found this cute poem online and have recorded it in my bullet journal for posterity.
And finally... Do you remember from a couple of weeks ago the photo I'd taken of the vest that my friend Mrs. I had made from left over yarn I'd given her? Well, the vest fit our mutual friend better than it fit me but two weeks later Mrs. I has made another vest JUST FOR ME!!! She is amazing! Mrs. I put in all the work and my friend and I reaped the blessings!
Beautiful vest! I have been worried about you with the cold. It sounds like you are well prepared. You have a good use for all your quilts!
ReplyDeleteI am the one that asked about how you heat your home, thank you for explaining it - I had forgotten about the earthquakes and remember now that you once mentioned heating your home with kerosene heaters - you write a very interesting blog and it is interesting to hear of live in Japan
ReplyDeleteI love the drawings and the poem! What a lovely vest you were given, too.
ReplyDeleteChip is to cute as he/she peeks from the warm quilt cave!
Do you have warm, soft bed socks? They ware wonderful for warming feet.. We also have an electric bed pad we slep on top of and it's heaven to get into a warm bed. It has dual controls so each person can choose the amount of warmth and it is truned off when we get in bed.
Hugs!
I have read your blog for years and enjoy it. It's one I check daily. Love the photo of you in your new vest. It's a beautiful photo of you.
ReplyDeleteMy husband and Tetsu are a lot alike. Bob can't wait for snow so he can shovel the block, the disabled neighbor's ramp, and all the sidewalks up to houses on either side of us. Surprises new residents. It is a good thing since the sun will then warm the sidewalks and automatically clear the ice. Plus giving favors keeps in the neighbor's good thoughts in case we have an emergency.
ReplyDeleteHow do you keep your water lines from freezing when the temperatures drop below freezing? -11 C is cold enough to do that in our experience here. Your blog is one of my favourites. Thanks for sharing about your life in Japan.
ReplyDeleteI now understand why you bundle up at bedtime and why your kitty is snuggled into the quilt. Your drawings are so impressive and so is Mrs. I!! She made another vest in record time and it looks terrific on you.
ReplyDeleteNo, growing old requires a certain toughness! Still, as long as you can laugh as well as complain, still stitch and still draw, it is still something to be thankful for.
ReplyDeleteThe vest is beautiful and looks so nice on you! Sorry about the cold temperatures. I used to enjoy the winter but now that I am older it is not so much fun. Love your drawings as well. Have a great week!!
ReplyDeleteYour paintings are so beautiful! So nice of her to get you a new vest just your size. It is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI must try apple crisp and baked sweet potatoes together sometime. Looks delicious. I enjoy your paintings/drawings and reading about your life in Japan in general. The vest looks great on you!
ReplyDelete