Wednesday, January 4, 2023

A few days into January

We are heading into the end of our winter holidays though I have more than most.  I think businesses are back to normal routine since yesterday but school is off until the 10th for me.
This is good because I seem to have had a "flare" which is a new word for me since starting life with rheumatism.  And I was going along so well these past two months!  I had thought/hoped that if I took medications regularly and followed a slightly restricted diet that I wouldn't get caught in one of these actively painful periods but here I am laid up again.  It is rather discouraging but I've got a doctor's appointment anyway next week and there is still time for me to laze around in bed with books and knitting at my side...  So it goes.

New Year's Day had us enjoying the myriad of New Year's cards that get delivered on January 1st.  The post office holds back all New Year's cards so that they can be delivered on New Year's Day and it is nice to hear from friends far and wide and even those whom we only have contact this one time a year.  It is interesting to me that if there has been a death in the family the previous year, New Year's cards won't be sent out but rather around November families will send out somber notices of the loss of the loved one explaining why the happy messages of the New Year WON'T be sent out later.  To recipricate, friends will not send cards to the family in mourning... which seems to the American in me, odd because they are the ones who need cheering the most in this festive time of year...
Most Japanese will enjoy a feast of beautifully prepared and colorful New Year's food but for Tetsu and me we keep our meals limited to pounded rice cakes with different sweet toppings.  Sweet beans, sweet bean paste, sweet soy bean powder...  
We got tired of that the third day into New Year's and I made vegetable miso soup...
Since I've been moving around normally for weeks now we went for a longish walk on January 1st which was lovely.  
We took photos of ourselves to send to our kids and the next day spent time at the pool to get some exercise and relax in the hot baths.  Somewhere along the line in those two days I must have over exerted myself because I've been limping around since then...
I think Tetsu is most worried that I will become discouraged and closed in and so he suggested a day out at the movie theater yesterday.  He could drop me off at the entrance, I didn't have far to walk and then we enjoyed a few hours of distraction and popcorn!  
It was evening by the time we came home and the connecting mall was lit up beautifully!
During the holidays I took some time off from my endless quilting to do some knitting and even crochet!  Marlene asked me to make her a towel topper for her kitchen and that was a quick and easy project.
This is now written up in my bullet journal so that I can do it all again at a later date.
The green pom-pom that I showed a few weeks ago on my blog came from the hat that I knitted up for M-san.  
It was her birthday yesterday and so I gave her the hat... wrapped in a pretty piece of fabric!  I figure if she can't use the hat at least she'll find uses for the fabric!

I also made a neck-warmer for Tetstu (I forgot to photograph that and he's wearing it today) and I'm working on a simple hat for him too...  Using up fabric stash and yarn stash feels good!
And so that's how week one of 2023 has been going for us.  

6 comments:

  1. I love reading your beautifully illustrated blog posts and hearing about life in Japan. I've often wondered if you speak English or Japanese at home with Tetsu? I've explored the painting classes that you have taken, and am wondering about signing up for some as I'm very impressed with your sketches and watercolours. Sadly, I don't have the patience to maintain a bullet journal, and again, I'm very impressed with how much work you put into yours! Hope the flare up settles. I've had a hip problem for a few years now but it is settling down following a steroid injection and anti-inflammatories. It's great to be able to walk without a limp once more, so I do sympathise with your (much worse) arthritis. Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! Hope your issues resolve soon and you are up and about soon.
    I'm always so impressed with your artwork and your dedication to working on it everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear you are laid up - hoping the pain soon goes. You've done quite a lot in spite of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry you have to contend with physical problems. I hope the rabbit year will get you hopping back in action. Thanks for the towel holder pattern. I think I may have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I join Rachel in saying how sorry I am to hear you are feeling unwell again. Hopefully, you will get some good feedback at the hospital next week. The doctors also need to figure out how to tailor make the treatment and medication for you.
    I also think that Tetsu-san is right that you need some form of distraction. You are lucky you have all these skills, painting, journaling, knitting...
    Wishing you speedy relief from your discomfort.
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Endless popcorn..... I like that!!!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.