Sunday, January 29, 2023

Cold weather, cost of living and Luka!

January went by so quickly which was maybe good because the cold didn't make it particularly pleasant.  We are thankful for stoves and heaters and layers of clothing!  So far we haven't had any major expenses due to the cold (knock on wood) but a storm last week knocked part of our neighbor's roof off and another neighbor's fence fell down and another neighbor had his pipes freeze.  I wonder if the winters are becoming harder or if the extreme cold and wind is because the forest behind our house and neighborhood is now gone and thus the damages.  Of course, if the forest had still been there, I might be writing about damage from fallen trees so I keep in mind to be grateful.  

We have been feeling the influence of the economic system this winter whether because of residue pandemic consequences or because of the war in Ukraine... but the prices in the grocery stores keep on climbing and our electric bill is nearly twice what it was last year.  It makes me think I should purchase more mindfully and also conserve our heat but we don't want to succumb to colds and sniffles and life has to be enjoyable too!  

Okay, enough griping.  Here is my monthly Luka update.
I think Luka got a tricycle for Christmas and so he has been practicing riding it on Leiya's driveway and in a park.  The last I heard he was still pushing himself along by his feet and hadn't mastered the art of pedaling.
This was a fun set of photos of Luka wearing a reversible vest and Marlene had sent him when he was a baby.  Now the vest is worn by his teddy bear but he wanted to try it on one more time.
Same boy when he was only a couple months old.
And here he is at 2 years old.  Love those big eyes!
And I must include a picture of Takumi and Julieta and their doggies, Hazy and Pollo.  

Hoping for days full of hearts and chocolate in February!

11 comments:

  1. Love seeing the pictures of Luka and your family. Luka is growing so fast!
    Hope there are warmer and sunnier days in your future. Enjoy the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luka! His eyes melt my heart; such a sweetie! Prices are skyrocketing here too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the photos and Luka is growing like a weed and he is adorable. Here in Indiana the prices are skyrocketing and electric and gas for the house is very high. Stay warm and keep fighting the arthritis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patty McDonald in Sothern Ca.January 30, 2023 at 1:27 PM

    Always enjoy seeing pictures of your family especially Luka. He's so big! Prices seem to be high everywhere. I'm interested in what a dozen eggs cost in Japan? Electric is very high here too but we heat and cook with propane. We just filled our propane tank and it's the same as last year....$3.756. I can't figure out how gas, electric, and natural gas are so high and propane is the same. Our friends in Minnesota pay under $3 for propane but it's probably because their weather is so cold and so the price is lowered. Have a good (warm) week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never worried about our electric bill because my husband worked for the electric company! We'd pay their bill with what had come from them in his paycheck. Same money bounced back and forth between us and the company for 35 years. Paycheck meant we held the money for a few weeks. Bill meant they got the money again, until they gave it back in the next paycheck! It worked, but it was strange they even had to bill us, if you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are wonderful family photos. Food has gotten more expensive here too, month by month. The price of eggs, for example, is just crazy right now. I'm not sure how energy costs compare. We are in a smaller home, in a milder climate now in NC, versus years in New England. It makes me wonder what the price of heating oil is up there now. I think food is high all over the U.S. We are mindful of not wasting food like never before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny how many grocers and food companies' profits are up 40% this year, no? In fact, most of these companies are all reaping huge profits of of us now. It's evil. Our grocery bills are up more than 50%. Luckily we can afford it. I can't imagine how people who were already struggling are able to manage now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. food prices shooting up here in N Ireland too. I do love reading your posts, I learn so much. Luka is a dote as we say here. Irene

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have the same complaints here - cold and expensive. As Rosa said, profits are up, including the gas and energy companies so most if not all of it has to do with greed. The two pictures of Luka - as a baby and as a child right next to each other, you can see how his face has changed. He is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Frozen pipes are the worst. February is the month we always breath a sigh of relief when over as most disasters seem to happen in Feb in our area. I love the family updates. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The forest having gone will certainly be contributing, if any of your weather comes from that direction. Here's hoping all our weather-related troubles are smaller ones.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.