Saturday, June 11, 2022

Tooting my own horn

I've gotten quite a lot done on the Songbird's Garden quilt the past few days and I am happy to report that it is officially a flimsy!  
And it has turned out to be much larger than I'd expected so now I will have to decide how I'm going to quilt it...  by hand or by machine...  Decisions, decisions.  It is larger than even my design wall so the only way I could take photos is by laying it out on our bed, but maybe you can get the idea...  (or not as there is nothing there to compare it with).
Can you spot my fabric additions to make the borders fit?  
Those borders of triangles turned out 1 1/2 inches too small so I ended up adding 3/4 of an inch to each side of them...  and then they sort of blend into the corner squares...  It took a lot of scribbling on scrap paper but once on the sewing machine, the borders matched up nicely and that's as good as I can do.  Yeah! 

This week I also got two text messages, one from Mrs. Furui and one from Julieta.

Last week, Mrs. Furui and I had met for tea and chatting for the first time in over two years.  We've had brief meetings where we've exchanged quilt patterns and picked up batting and held up finished quilts for each other to admire, but we haven't had a sit down, spend time together chat because of Corona.  I wanted to tell Mrs. Furui about our visit with Luka and to show her the blog/album of photos I'd made, and I also rather boldly asked if she wouldn't like to display one of my quilts at the hospital where she does volunteer work.  

For years, Mrs. Furui and I and our patchwork group had made quilts to be displayed in the children's ward waiting room and I know that Mrs. Furui still regularly changes over the quilts with the seasons.  I had recently taken down the McKenna Farm quilt that I'd had up on my wall and I thought it was a shame for it to be put into the closet for who knows how long especially as there hadn't been many people visiting my house to even see it.  There are not many walls large enough for it to be displayed (it barely fit in my house) but the hospital has a big wall... wouldn't they like to hang it there for the summer months?  Nothing like being forward!
Mrs. Furui hadn't seen the finished quilt and she rewarded me with oohs and ahhs and said that, yes, she'd love to take it to the hospital and hang it in the waiting room so I left it with her.  This week she and some other volunteers got the quilt mounted on the wall and she sent me a picture.  I'm very happy that for the next month or so, my quilt will be enjoyed by patients and their parents who stream in and out of the waiting room!

The text message from Julieta also gave me a twinkle because she wrote to say that she'd given one of my quilts to her aunt.  Oh good!  We'd taken so many quilts to the States this time, so I just told Julieta that she could give them to people if she thought they'd like one.  I was surprised that her brother wanted one, and a couple of weeks ago she gave a quilt to her aunt who lives in Mexico.  
Well!  The aunt had it FRAMED!!!!  FRAMED, I tell you!  FRAMED!!!  Oh my gosh!  Think of the cost!  
There are people installing it on her wall!  Can you believe!  I don't even know when I made that quilt, so it's been around awhile.  I remember I just wanted to make all the different colored blocks that I could with the curved seams and I'm pretty sure I spent one summer in California making blocks while I chatted with my mother.  It must have taken a long time to make but I didn't really have a plan once all the blocks were made and because I hadn't thought about color, there were light blocks and dark blocks that didn't really go together.  I must say though, flat and framed it's an eye catcher!  I'm so glad it is out of the closet and has a good home!!!   I feel so honored!
 

13 comments:

  1. Oh, the frames quilt is beautiful! What an honor for your quilt to be so loved that it was framed and how wonderful to spread your gifts around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is a beautiful quilt. The blocks go together so well in the hat layout. It’s definitely worthy of framing. I am glad that you showed it to us because I don’t remember seeing it before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, It looks like a real eye catcher !! She did an awesome job of framing, Too bad you don't have the details of completion. McKenna Ryan just opened their shop again, let me know if there is some theme you would like for the grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Songbird quilt is amazing! I love the McKenna quilt and the framed circles seems to get some love and attention! It is so nice when people enjoy the quilts you make. My children are not there yet ... Daughter: That is nice, Mom! Me: Ooh, do you want it? Daughter: No! Oh well, I quilt for me and one day when I am gone they can do whatever they want with my quilts, and luckily I won't know about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good news all around. You have added parts to the Songbird's Garden in a clever way, it is a delight to see.
    The 'hospital quilt' will not only calm anxious children and their parents, but really put a smile on their faces, it is such a charming quilt.
    You're right, Julieta's aunt now has a real eye-catcher in that stunning quilt. We have seen framed quilts at the show in Tokyo Dome, so the idea is not new, but this is really a large quilt. It must have cost a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do such beautiful work, whether it's quilted or your paintings. Having that quilt framed is a wonderful way to show it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julieta's aunt, that is a great display, and what a super frame she chose. It looks magnificent .

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quilt that is now in Mexico is a work of art and it's so nice it will be admired constantly. Julieta certainly chose the perfect Aunt to receive it.
    I'm sure many will enjoy looking at all the details on your McKenna Farm quilt while it's on display at the hospital.
    Congratulations on Songbirds Garden progress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your flimsy, and what wonderful news that the quilt that went to Mexico is so cherished!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love seeing the McKenna Ryan quilt and it's perfect to display in a boring waiting room. There are so many different scenes to admire and children will be entertained seeing the animals.
    Julieta found the perfect home for your quilt. The framing is beautiful and it will be an eye catcher hanging over the stairway.
    Your week looks to be full of blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Songbird's Garden quilt top is just beautiful!!! I love the way you improvised to make everything fit. It just adds to the design. The McKenna Ryan quilt is such a work of art and it was so generous of you to loan it to the hospital. I am sure it will be enjoyed by many people. I am just in awe looking at the quilt that Juliette's aunt had framed. First of all, it is a beautiful quilt and then the framing just makes it even more astonishing. What talent you have!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of this is fantastic! Great to see your quilt hanging in the hospital. And great to see your kids have found an amazing home for a beautiful art quilt - it's stunning and looks like it will be VERY well appreciated framed and on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Songbird's Garden is wonderful. I think the white pieces you added makes it prettier than the original. Sometimes when quilts are given away, one may not really know how the recipient feels about it. With the quilt going to Julieta's aunt, there is no doubt!!! The McKenna quilt will be much enjoyed in the waiting room of the hospital. My former dentist had lap quilts hanging in each "cubicle" for patients to focus on when having their teeth worked on. It was always fun to anticipate which quilt I would see at my appointments.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.