Monday, June 6, 2022

Sewing and painting

It was a rainy day today and it looks like it will be that way for a few weeks...  We have "welcomed" in the rainy season...  Tetsu couldn't work in his yard but rain doesn't interfere with my routine of sewing and painting.  I got quite a lot done today!
My Songbird's Garden quilt is coming along much more quickly than I thought it would!  I think the easy part is done now and tomorrow (or whenever I get back to this) will be a dilly of a job as I try to fit another border on the center piece I have so far.  I tell you!  I know I've been saying this a lot lately but I really think the instructions are wrong on some of these quilt patterns I use!  There is no way one set of blocks was going to turn out the size the pattern said they are supposed to be and as I did no resizing with the printer for the template I claim the original pattern is off by a quarter of an inch...  
And with 20 blocks missing those quarter inches each seam... that's going to be a big difference when I try to fit the border on!  I foresee headaches ahead!   See!  My pieces just fit the templates.
And my piece made is supposed to be 7" by 3 3/4" but obviously the white pieces didn't turn out that big...  And those were just cut so it's not my seam allowance.

BUT I do realize I lack math skills and I do realize that not all patterns I work on have misprints so it must be something I do wrong...  still, that is where I am at the moment.

I've started another Sandy Allnock class on Ink and Wash and I am enjoying that immensely this week.
Lilacs.
Jelly Fish.
Trees.
On my own, I tried an ink, colored pencil and wash of Takumi's house...
... using this photo.
And of Leiya's house...
...not using this photo but I couldn't find the one I was using...
And of Tetsu's backyard...
...using this photo.
I also painted the rice field next to the school...
...from this.
And after learning how to make trees this week in Sandy's class, today I painted Lake Chuzenji from last week's outing...
... from this photo.

I'm having fun!

14 comments:

  1. Your drawings are beautiful. About the patterns. Frankly I have given up on quilting patterns and just create my own now. Almost every quilt pattern I have made has errors in it. Some way more than others. One I made, a popular pattern too, I found 5 errors in it. When I have to do that much rewriting I figure I might as well just write my own lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your ink drawings are wonderful you are doing a great job with that

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed with your painting skills! These are beautiful! As for the quilt, that is impressive also. I hope they gave you enough fabric for the borders, just don't cut until you measure the final size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your ink and wash is coming along beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the painting of Lake Chuzenji! It's so peaceful. I'd hang that one up on my wall if you ever want to sell it! I have visited it and have that memory....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your artistic paintings. The colours are soft and gentle. Tetsu's garden, the table all set for lunch maybe??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodluck with the quilt .... Maybe some thin strips to push out the size?
    You paintings at the bottoms are amazing.........I love seeing what you draw and paint...... So talented......

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your paintings are coming along in leaps and bounds! Have you contacted the publisher of the pattern or looking on the web for any corrections? Just Google the name of the pattern and maker.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your drawings are beautiful. You are very talented. As for the quilt patterns, have you checked online to see if they have mentioned errors. I've gone to website of the company or person who I got the pattern from to see if they have Errata listed.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rice fields ❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the picture of the rice fields!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your paintings are wonderful! I can do wonders with yarn, but would only create disasters with a brush. I am in awe of your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tanya, if you haven't considered having blank greeting cards made from some of your paintings you really should. You could open an etsy shop and sell individual or boxes of cards. I'm a stationery/card junkie and your style is what I look for when it comes to cards. These are all eye candy but my absolute favorites from this post are the rice field (stunning! I'll purchase a box please :)), the trees, and the lilacs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great work, both with fabric, needle and thread as well as paper and paint. It is very frustrating when the measurements don't fit what we are working on. It has happened to me, too, when I did a BOM. There is nothing for it but to add your personal touch to that border. I am sure you have plenty of fabric that will be suitable to add, and make up for what is missing.
    Have fun.
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.