Japan is cold and though I don't live in the coldest part of Japan, this area is cold enough for me!!! This morning we opened our curtains in our bedroom to this....!
We do have an air-conditioner/heater in our bedroom. We probably use it three or four times a year in the absolutely hottest and most humid nights of summer. But we never use it in the winter (even though it does heat). Japanese houses (except I have heard on the Northern island it is different) don't have central heating. Some houses will have heated floors which will warm up one room or another pretty well, but most of us just use kerosene space heaters and electric carpets to heat a room. This means that though the living room can get toasty warm, the other rooms in the house are like ice. I provide my upstairs cats with an heated mat and blankets covering their "cat cave" but the rest of us stay most of the day in the only warm room in the house.
Recently at night I will zap a water bottle type heating pad in the microwave and tuck it at the foot of my bed but that is all the heat I get there unless I generate it myself or have a cat or two that is willing to cuddle. I guess we don't like artificial heat while we sleep... or maybe we don't want exorbitant electric bills. Whatever the reason, our room really does turn into an icebox in dead winter!
I have found another good reason to wear a mask!
On Thursday I was walking to the school for crosswalk duty when... CRASH! I tripped (all by myself) and landed face first onto the pavement. I picked myself up but since I'd hit my chin I turned directly around and went back home and asked Tetsu to drive me to the school. I figured nothing was broken as I could open my mouth and my hands and legs worked... Tetsu was worried but he took me to school and waited in the car for 45 minutes to make sure I didn't get dizzy or pass out or something. I didn't. When I got home I finally checked myself for injuries. A scraped knee... A swollen chin. But all my cold weather clothing (let's see... I was wearing fleece pajamas under snow pants and a heavy fleece shirt and a down jacket and a long black uniform coat plus a thick neck warmer, mask, hat, socks and Ugg boots) hindered my movements causing the fall to begin with, but because of all the padding, very little damage was rendered to my body.
As the day wore on, I did get a headache and napped or read a book and felt very decrepit and the next day when I went to the doctor my shoulder and arm muscles were aching (because they caught a lot of my fall). But the doctor said I didn't have to worry about a concussion. And by then my chin had bloomed to a beautiful shade of purple BUT thanks to the mask (which had also saved most of my face) I can still go grocery shopping with my purple chin hidden beneath the mask! I will give masks another positive checkmark!
My aches and pains are going away but I'm resolved to do some exercises to practice picking up my feet a bit more deliberately!
love your blog. Never heard of electric carpets. Irene in N Ireland
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you are ok. We have an attachment for shoes that are great for using on ice. Sent a picture to your email. John just found the word ice gripper. Growing up in So Cal he is not familiar with snow terms!
ReplyDeleteWe also have no heat in our bedroom but the temperature stays around 16 degrees C which is perfect for sleeping. Ice on the inside of the window feels a little cold! Stay warm!
So sorry about your fall. Hope you are fully recovered soon. Take care.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you are OK after your fall. Too bad we didn't wear face masks when I had my bicycle accident... my face was a mess and it was too embarrassing to go anywhere until it healed.
ReplyDeleteIt is cold here in the northeast - only 6 degrees F this morning but thankfully we have central heat which seems to constantly be on! Stay warm! Good time to do some hand quilting.
I too have fallen several times in the last couple of months. Tell me about the exercises to pick up feet. I have noticed that my left foot does not pickup as the right one does..... so I walk repeating to myself like a two year old lift, lift, lift. Sure beats falling......
ReplyDeleteTanya,
ReplyDeleteAnother one of the "gadgets" that Japanese have. I have
never heard of heated carpets. We did visit one of our
Norwegian student's home and they had an off/on heated
bathroom floors (wonderful) We do have a towel rack that
you can heat your towel during you shower.
Good to know you are ok, in spite of the fall. I've also noticed that the mask is a useful extra layer to keep me warm in the cold!
ReplyDeleteYou are such a good story teller! You should write a book! Really, maybe even a children’s book with your wonderful drawings. Thanks for your blog enjoy it so much.
ReplyDeleteCan you not buy electric blankets or electric mattress pads in Japan? Even with my flannel sheets, I like to heat the bed when I first to go bed (though I lower it to #1 before falling asleep).
ReplyDeleteI've had 2 falls this winter...more than usual and the season is young yet.
Very glad your unofficial uniform is fall protective.
This is the first year I have not done a face-plant. At least the mask saved you from something worse. I sleep in a greenhouse on the roof, and these days it is freezing but not enough moisture for frosty windows.I really prefer to breathe the cold air and my sleeping bag is warm. The electric bill is the worst to pay, so I bundle up in many layers. My daughter told me she was sending ice grippers to wear over my shoes, but most of the ice we have is only where the sun does not touch in the daytime.
ReplyDeleteBrrrr.... that is really cold!! So sorry you fell. Hope your chin is feeling better.
ReplyDelete