Thursday, January 27, 2022

A new friend in my sewing room

Let's see... A few posts back I wrote about my thoughts about sewing machines...  Remember, I was going to get my old one fixed, I was thinking of a new one.  So many wonderful pieces of advice but in the end, partially because of the bombardment of Tetsu's research data, I threw in the towel and decided to get my old sewing machine repaired.  

BUT...  A week later I picked up my machine and brought it home and a few days later started some free-motion quilting that I'd be waiting to get too.  And dang it all, if the thread didn't just keep breaking as before.  I adjusted tension, I rethreaded and fiddled as much as I could but the thread kept breaking.  I clumped back downstairs and called the repair shop.

"The sewing machine that you just fixed is still having problems and I can't get it to do what I want it to do!"

The repairman offered to come to the house and see what the problem was.

"But I live in the next town over, about 45 minutes away."

"That's okay.  I live in that area too.  I'll head out now."

Well!  That was a surprise.

Sure enough 45 minutes later my repairman was at the door and I invited him in.  And he took a look around my living room at the quilts I have on my walls.  Right now, most of them are McKenna quilts that have been heavily machine quilted.

We headed upstairs and he checked out the quilts that I'd laid out so that I could show him want I wanted to do.  I even had a few practice sandwiches ready so that I could demonstrate how I expected the sewing machine to function.  

The repairman fiddled around and though straight stitching was no problem at any speed, free-motion quilting at high speed caused the thread to snap.  He pointed out some basic problems.

"You have different weights of thread in your spool and in your bobbin.  You should try to keep the weights the same."

"But I exclusively work with white thread (60 wt) in my bobbin and decorative threads (90 wt) in my spool.  I'm not switching to all white thread."

He fiddled with the bobbin tension and I asked him to teach me how to do that.  And we got it working satisfactorily.  Unfortunately, this meant that I would have to change the bobbin tension at each change of thread or when switching from free-motion to straight stitch.

"Mrs. Watanabe.  I'll say it plainly but if I had known what type of sewing you are doing and seen you sew your pieces, I would have advised you that this very old sewing machine is being expected to do too much.  You are semi-pro even if you don't show your pieces or sell them.  You can get by with the repaired machine but you're asking for some stressful times trying to figure out the settings every few minutes."

"So...  we're back to square one.  I should just go ahead and buy the Juki machine in your shop?"

"No.  Because that is a domestic sewing machine.  You could really use an industrial machine if you aren't interested in fancy stitches or any of the embroidery function."

We went downstairs and I pulled out my iPhone and pointed out a few of the sewing machines that some of my blog friends had written about when I first posed the question.  Of course there was the problem of my budget too because I'd already spent enough money fixing the old machine (which can still be used).  Well, my repairman said he'd find me a suitable industrial machine for what I could afford and the deal was done!
Yesterday, two days later, my repairman was at my door at 9:00 (on his way to work from home...  he really does live near me) and he set up my new Juki sewing machine.  
This is going to take some practice as threading is completely different, and bobbin insertion etc.  But I am happy to say that I spent the rest of yesterday free-motion quilting and today put on borders and completed my first small quilt on it.

Here's to many happy years and many more projects with my new Juki machine.  I will HAVE to keep sewing just to get my money's worth!!!
  

18 comments:

  1. I think this is a wonderful choice, one friend has a Juki, not sure which model, and after all you can still use your older one for other stitches. I did hear the Juki sews very fast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's brilliant news - and the best possible recommendation for that repair shop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new machine - I thought that might have to be the outcome. An aside comment - A lot of people I know keep separate bobbin cases for separate types of projects. That way they don't have to change the tension, just the case. A Bernina repairman told me it's best not to change the bobbin tension all the time on the case that comes with the machine. Leave the screw alone and change cases, or if you must move the screw, mark with something to tell you where to put it back to when done. I didn't realize when I first got my machine that there's a "drop test" they do at the shop to test if your bobbin case is at factory setting. They hold it up by the bobbin thread and the case has to drop a certain distance to be correct. Finding that out made me vow never to move the tension screw myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful that your sewing repairman could stop by and identify why your older machine wasn't up to the task asked of it and that he was able to find the right machine within your budget.
    This is certainly a reminder us all, in addition to asking specific questions, have samples when taking a machine in for repair or shopping for an upgrade...a good repairman is worth his weight in gold.
    Congratulations, you're going to have so much fun and less heartache when quilting from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you had so much trouble, but what a treasure you found in that repair man!!! I'm glad you have the new machine and wish you many hours of happy sewing on it. (If you don't already have something in mind for that little quilt, maybe a little thank you for the repairman). Having had months off trouble with our fridge and little satisfaction from the repairman that passed through our house, I may be biased but I am still gobsmacked at the helpful service!

    Len, south of Seattle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, I had that very machine from 2004 until 2020! Fabulous for free motion quilting. Its only drawback is that the walking foot is so narrow that stitching in the ditch is hard to visualize. I wish you many decades of enjoyable quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your new machine! It does take a while to figure out the new threading. I had to look in the book several times before it became old hat!
    Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your Juki!!! Great decision. Pray that I don't covet it - haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that is awesome customer service! I hope you have many wonderful stitches with your new machine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy your new machine. And I agree with your repairman that you might not sell or show your quilts, but you are a semi-pro. Your quilting looks professional to me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is wonderful service. I have heard that this Juki machine is wonderful for piecing and quilting. I hope you have enjoyment in using it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely story! How thoughtful your repairman was/is. Happy creating to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Tanya, congratulations on getting a REALLY great machine. I have heard wonderful things about this machine. And... to have a repair person making a house call and caring so much - what a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to your new machine! Hope you will have many happy hours with your new machine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your new (to you) machine! Not only do you have a wonderful machine, you have a knowledgeable, customer focused serviceman. That kind of service is unheard of where I live. I am so impressed with his knowledge and desire to get the right machine for you. Happy stitching/quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow, congratulations! How wonderful that you get this kind of service in your own home, and he was able to get you a machine in your price range. Yes, you will definitely have to make many more quilts to get your money's worth. He is right,the quality of your work is professional.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on getting a Juki!! That is the machine that I want but I already have 5 machines that work so I can't buy another one. I think you will love your new machine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay for you! Congrats Tanya! What a super repairman you have to find you a machine. I have the Brother equivalent to your Juki, it did take a bit of getting used to, but I do like mine. I know you are happy to have a reliable machine to FMQ on now. Happy stitching! Hugs from NC, KittyAnn

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.