Friday, November 15, 2019

Winding up our mini-vacation

Tetsu and I finished up our mini-vacation with a walk around a preserved samurai village in the mountains.  There were a lot of artifacts and old buildings but there wasn't much in the way of an explanation of what was being exhibited.
The Heike Folk Village.
 The thatched roofs were very picturesque against the autumn colors.
The buildings were very drafty and cold!
 Snow wear made of straw made in the fashion of 800 years ago!
There were lots of old kitchen and farm and household implements that I didn't recognize but THIS is a old Japanese spool for winding thread or yarns.
Interesting "stickers" which Tetsu explained to me was how people would "visit" places that they couldn't really go to.  They'd ask a pilgrim to take along their stamp and place it at the sight thus visiting vicariously...
We left the beautiful mountain scenery and headed back home. 

There are so many beautiful places to see and not all that far from us!

We came home and took a nap!  

4 comments:

  1. What an innovative hand machine for winding wool? or cotton? Once spun by hand probably, then made into warm winter hats and mitts.Beautiful autumn colours. Home for a rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so blessed, Tanya, to have so many beautiful places to visit so close by. I am living vicariously through you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Autumn in rural Kansas is a little sad compared to your neck of the woods! Ha. Thanks for the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, that takes me back to the days when those name papers were posted all over shrines and temples. The times have really changed more than I realized.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.