Thursday, July 25, 2019

Sewing finally!

This did start out to be a quilting blog but I haven't been reporting much on what I've been sewing... That's because there haven't been too many finishes...  And what I have finished have been smaller projects.

Last week was Tetsu's birthday and I was racking my brain for something to get him even though he says he doesn't want presents.  I did buy him something but he seemed more grateful for the handmade present I made him...
A computer "sleeve".  I guess one could call it a sleeve, it isn't a bag because it doesn't have any handles though I've offered to add handles if he wants some (he doesn't).  Tetsu bought a new laptop computer in March but it sort of has taken over the desk in the "sunroom".  Unfortunately, the cat house cats also make use of the sunroom when it is raining out or especially stormy and they like to sit on the chairs but they will occasionally get up on the desk.  We have already had one "accident" with a cat spraying on the desk and I could just imagine the fury if a cat peed on Tetsu's computer!  He had been putting notebooks and papers on the computer to dissuade the cats from sitting on it but I decided to make a waterproof sleeve that the computer can be slipped into easily... thus no handles.
I found this waterproof "fabric" and asked how one goes about sewing with it and found that I already had a silicon (I guess) sewing machine foot that sews on plasticized fabric.  I made the sleeve according to the computer's dimensions and then I also added a felt lining (as sewing the fabric meant that moisture could still get through seams).  Tetsu was thrilled with his new laptop sleeve with cats and a John dog on it.
Tetsu's sister, whom we see about once a month, asked me to make her a drawstring bag...  I had made her this same bag nearly 20 years ago and she claimed it was such an easy bag to use and wanted another one to replace the first.  I still had the original pattern though I haven't made it in the past 20 years. 
This is an easy project that I did in about two days by hand.  Just combine triangles, add a top piece folded inside to hide the inner seams and then add the bottom with bias tape hiding the base seams.
I also finished machine quilting the baby quilt panel completely forgoing the walking foot.  It came out much to my satisfaction and I still don't know why my walking foot was such a trial.  It was connected right...  It probably could be oiled but it was moving smoothly.  I cleaned the feed dogs and bobbin case because it seemed to me that the walking foot was moving more quickly than the feed dogs (because the top fabric pulled ahead) but in the end I just felt that there was less a possibility of ruining this quilt by just freehand quilting all the straight lines.
I am now sewing down the binding on all those scallops.
I was with my patchwork group on Friday and the purpose was to put borders on a quilt we are making for one of the members.  This quilt has been in the making for years but we never had a person in mind to give it to.  We decided that we'd all feel inspired to finish this for our newest member who never sews for herself but helps us with all the other projects we make.  Basting and quilting will begin next month.
And while I was at Mrs. Furui's house she got me started on crochet beading!  This is one of those projects where the purpose is to see if I can really do it!  I got the instructions on the basics and then came home and raided my bead box.  Actually there weren't enough of any one bead to do much of anything so that is why this looks so hodge-podge.  I guess I can say I can do this craft now though I don't know much what I am going to do with the skill.  By the way, I will have to go back to Mrs. Furui to find out how to join the ends to make a bracelet as I don't know how to do that yet...  Right now this looks like a long yellow earthworm...  Yuck!
And finally...  advice needed.  I have put the final quilting stitches into the Selah quilt.  This is also ready to be bound.  The question is, do I need to do some quilting in the center of this quilt?
Everywhere else is heavily quilted, the outer border with feathers, the inner square with a lattice, the flowers with stitch-in-the-ditch, the word Selah also outline quilted, but the rest of that center is a bit puffy...  I can't figure out how to quilt around the words "Pause in His Presence".  This is hand quilted so I don't want to start using a filler stitch with the machine.
Can I leave this as is or should I put more lattice in the center?  Any other ideas?
 

13 comments:

  1. Your Selah quilt is beautiful. It does look like it needs something. What about a wreath of flowers, leaves, or a half wreath of feathers? Or even the double line circle like you have around the outside?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think it does need a bit more quilting in the centre. And I love the bunny quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A agree, two lines that link the flower stems at their ends.It is so beautiful;

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly have a lot of progress to show. Great bags! Charming quilts! Unusual crochet beading - never seen before.
    Your Circle is fantastic, I am so happy to see the appliqué pattern beautified by your quilting. Yes, I think you should add some more quilting in the middle. How about a double line from the stems, towards the centre where they meet up?
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Bunny Quilt is adorable. A circle of some kind would highlight the text.(My humble opinion; who doesn't know a thing about quilting)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would quilt around the flowers with echo quilting the way it is done on Hawaiian quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You went from showing no sewing to showing multitudes of sewing! Lots of wonderful projects. A handy laptop sleeve, a beautiful bag (so wonderful that it is appreciated so much that an encore is requested!) The baby quilt looks good too - my walking foot is pretty finicky in getting it installed right in the machine. Mine was giving me trouble the other day, and I took it out and put it right back in, and it worked fine. I really like the scalloped borders. And all those cute bunnies! The Sela quilt is pretty too - so much variety in your projects! I would add some quilting in the center. Maybe a ring of feathers around the words?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would quilt in the middle of the Selah quilt, but I can't offer any advice as to what, perhaps the lattice, drawing that back into the center? I don't know. All of your show and tell is inspiring but I really do love that applique rabbit quilt. Well done!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of your projects are beautiful! The Selah quilt is just awesome. Your applique and quilting are just exquisite. If it was my quilt, I would add more quilting to the center to alleviate the puffiness and make it consistent with the other areas of the quilt. Maybe more of the grid? I just took a wall hanging (completed several years ago) that I had only quilted in the ditch by machine and hand quilted a grid on the background fabric. It was time consuming as I just slid my needle thru the layer of fabric under each applique piece but not thru the backing and then continued my grid line. The end result made it totally worthwhile. Selah is a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your lovely quilt does need a little more quilting in the center. Just a little something to keep the center from looking puffier than the rest.

    Are your cats spayed or neutered? The ones that are don't seem to spray.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see why Tetsu loves that laptop bag. It is amazing, especially with that fabric. All your projects are so lovely. I love it when your cats make appearances in your posts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty projects! What about quilting a heart or an oval around the words in the center of the Selah quilt with some scrolls coming off the heart/oval?

    Teresa F.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think a small heart shape in the triangular areas between the flowers would work. Lots of nice stuff getting done.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.