And today I sewed the rows that I had made yesterday and I guess I am now at a mid point with this quilt... It is becoming a rather large quilt but the pattern still calls for a wide border... What do you think? Does a big quilt make it harder to display? This is definitely an art quilt, not a bed quilt. The suggested dark border really looks nice but where is there going to be a wall large enough to display the finished product?
I really had to squeak out the last of that mottled white in the checked lattice. I ran out of fabric and the very last 2 1/2 inch square (somewhere in there) had to pieced together twice before I could get 2 1/2 inches! That is definitely called patchworking!
And can you find the block that I invented on my own? For some reason I could only come up with 8 of these block kits... I don't know if there were only 8 to begin with or if I lost one over the past couple years in which chase it may turn up in the corners of my closet someday... Anyway, I needed to "make" my own block from looking at the provided picture on the back of the pattern packet.
Which one is it?
It is the center chick block on the bottom row. I didn't have the pattern for that so I used left over fabrics from the other kits and made up my own flowers and chicks. It works... That's why it is called an art quilt. Nothing has to be perfect!
Nice Job! I love the checked blocks.
ReplyDeleteRuth in Oxnard CA.
There were 9 blocks in the original set, and yours is so like the one you have not found. Great inspiration. How about a narrower brown border, and binding out of the blue mottled in the blocks? That would show off those blocks so well, and this is a stunning quilt hanging, or on the settee. I can see a cat or two that would really fancy it as well.Joyous Easter to you both.
ReplyDeleteIf you had not mentioned that you didn't have a pattern for one of the blocks, I would not have guessed. Even after you mentioned it, I could not find that block. You did a great job. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeletecindy
I think a dark border would hold it all together and it would not have to be very wide either.
ReplyDeleteWell done! You are so productive, as well as inventive!
ReplyDeleteIf you don't want to quilt to grow any further, why not just add a narrow binding in a contrasting colour, red?, to give it a sharp outline.
I think a thin, dark border or binding would be perfect. It's beautiful x
ReplyDeleteThis turned out so cute! Looks plenty big to me if it is a wall hanging. I wish I could hang mine on the outside wall, and have for short periods of time, but the weather and creatures are too hard on them. No more wall space in my little house. Will you be keeping this or is it to be a gift? So pretty.
ReplyDeleteAnother lovely piece of work! Are chickens as popular in Japan as they are in the States?
ReplyDeleteThe checkered squares hold it together just fine.... the art is in the chickens and sun flowers.... bind it and be done.
ReplyDeleteLove your work, the checkered border adds to the quilt, well done.
ReplyDelete