Saturday, February 28, 2009

Safety pins

One hundred and twenty-one pins.

That's how many safety pins I've used to baste the Winding Ways quilt. And it really isn't very big. I am NOT going to repeat the mistake of not basting well for machine quilting this quilt!

I starched the backing and top heavily when ironing. I pinned the backing down TAUT. And I pinned the top along the sides too. (Working on a carpet here. I didn't have anywhere to tape it all down.) I could not find adhesive spray for the batting in the local craft store (though I've located it on a Japanese website). And since I had JUST bought a whole bolt of polyester batting, 25 meters worth, I decided to work with this (and pin well!) instead of going hunting for cotton batting which I don't even know if I've ever seen in Japan...

Machine quilting will begin! I'm planning to use the walking foot for some of the circles but I'm wondering what to do for fill-in in other places. And the border. The border is pretty plain and probably needs something but I don't want to take the eye from the lovely natural streaking in the dye...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.