Some of the blog posts I went back to last week were the ones I wrote in the days following the March 11, earthquake in 2011. I recalled the feelings we all had, the scary times, the humorous bits, the way I panicked on some days, the comfort of having my friend Lorraine with me, the pictures of cats milling around the fallen debris in our house, the broken statues and graves across the street. Except for Cleo, the other cats at the time are now gone as is Lorraine who visited me a couple of times in later years. Time goes on...
On March 12th, the elementary school had their 6th grade graduation and I was invited to attend. This year there were only 19 6th graders graduating but everything was very formal and the ceremony went off with a lot of pomp and circumstance. The principal and the homeroom teacher came in formal kimono and hakama (black kimono trousers worn over a kimono). The students all wore the uniforms they will be wearing at the jr. High school that they will attend. Some tears among the students and parents...
Actually the day before graduation, one of the 6th grade girls, Rin-chan, came to my house with her mother and grandfather bringing me a gorgeous bouquet of flowers. They thanked me for being her crosswalk guard for the past 6 years as well of 4 earlier years when her brother was an elementary school student.
The next day I sketched Rin-chan's bouquet into my bullet journal for a forever remembrance.I've started a new quilt. This is from Elizabeth Hartman's pattern called Berry Season. I'm making this for our strawberry farmer friend as he is always so generous with his strawberries. I don't know what he'll think about a mainly pink quilt but maybe his daughter will like it. I have to make 20 strawberries before I can show any more progress.Tetsu got called on the carpet in a health checkup for being pre-diabetic and so he went in to talk with a nutritionist who gave him advice and a plan for getting various blood test numbers into a normal range. "Get more exercise." And he has been good since then about pool walking and occasionally going out for a walk with me after lunch. He also was advised to eat more vegetables which actually means that I need to get up to bat and COOK more vegetables! That also goes along with "Try to cut out restaurant meals." Well, I can add vegetables to lunch and dinner but I'm not going to start making a salad for breakfast. The answer was to get the fiber and vitamins we need (me too! Not just Tetsu) with this vegetable juice. No fruit in it but it is actually pretty good!During this season we use daikon a lot and last night's dinner included a daikon main dish and two types of salad/pickles...
This is not a great picture but it was taken through our bedroom window, looking down on the construction going onbehind us. We actually can't see anything from our downstairs window because of the safety wall that is between our house and where the road will be, but the construction is close and we can hear the machines working during the day. This was the area where Tetsu used to have his vegetable garden but it is all gone now... I sat in the bedroom's bay window and sketched this one.
This is not a great picture but it was taken through our bedroom window, looking down on the construction going onbehind us. We actually can't see anything from our downstairs window because of the safety wall that is between our house and where the road will be, but the construction is close and we can hear the machines working during the day. This was the area where Tetsu used to have his vegetable garden but it is all gone now... I sat in the bedroom's bay window and sketched this one.
And this photo is from my sewing room window. This was once a country road leading to the rice fields but with the factory being built behind us, the city has had to widen the road to accomadate large delivery trucks that will be using it. Somehow one side will be for public traffic and one side will be for the factory trucks.
This is what the road used to look like (in a different season. Same blue wall.)
Last week, my American friend and I taught an English class during a Traffic Safety Officers' seminar. I did NOT want to get involved with that as I don't like teaching large groups of people and I had an inkling that most of the crosswalk guards who are in their 60s and 70s are not interested in English. The city hall's thinking was that as Nikko becomes more and more an international city, that crosswalk guards might find themselves in a situation where it would be nice if they could speak English... but what is a 45 minute class really going to do for anybody!? Besides that, I balked at the idea of being the teacher over this group of people who have been my collegues all these years. I insisted the young American woman that Nikko City Hall employs as an International Exchange Officer take on the class and I would "help". Despite the simplicity of the lesson, there was a lot of grumbling about why these old timers were expected to speak English at the crosswalk... and I don't blame them! I'm sure glad THAT is over!
And that is about it for the rest of the past two weeks... I came down with something over the weekend but I bounced back quickly. I always seem to hit a wall on the weekends which is nice because that means I rarely have to call in sick. It does seem like a waste of a good weekend to spend it in bed for two days though... Today's treat after crosswalk duty was coffee and chocolate!Spring break begins day after tomorrow!


When I saw the name on the machinery in one of your drawings, I had to look it up. It looked familiar, but I didn't know how. My last job was in an auto plant and I think it made some huge metal presses there. I guess it is 'a small world'. Love your drawings. You mentioned going back and reading about the big earthquake in 2011. I saved that posting about you and your friend in the underground mine during that time. I enjoy your blog and thank you for sharing all that you do.
ReplyDeleteI think that we all miss your old posting schedule of several times a week but are grateful that you post once a month...your postings are always interesting and I do look forward to them (as things in the US are so very stressful now).
ReplyDeleteI love seeing your sketches and have no idea how much practice time must go into acquiring the skills you have developed over the past years...I guess I could say "I came for the quilts but I stay for the sketches".
I am so sorry to see just how close the industrial development has come to your home. Progress isn't always pleasant when it's in our neighborhood.
I agree with Joanne always interested in your posts just curious what kind of factory ?
ReplyDeleteI do enjoy seeing your sketches. Happy to hear from you any time you get a chance to post!
ReplyDeleteI always enjoy your posts and learning about your life in Japan, your quilts and your family. I'm happy that you post every so often. I imagine it is a hard thing to keep up!
ReplyDelete