Monday, January 1, 2024

Noto earthquake

We are fine.  Thank you for thinking of us.  We live in the center of Japan north of Tokyo and earthquake’s epicenter was in Ishikawa which is on the west coast of Japan.  The area there is famous for its heavy snowfall and freezing winters.  We feel so bad for the people who have evacuated their homes and have escaped to higher but unprotected ground.  We remember the days after the March 11 earthquake 12 years ago.

Yesterday Tetsu and I had gone to the pool and I had just finished taking a bath and was dripping wet and headed for my locker when earthquake alarms started to go off from cell phones in the many lockers in the room.  Another lady in a similar state and I gripped the walls expecting the shaking to start but when it didn’t we realized we needed to put on clothes if the need came to evacuate.  Other ladies coming from the pool and bath weren’t aware that there had been an earthquake alert (only the phone alarms which had been left in the lockers) but someone coming from the lobby gave us the immediate details.  

It is so cold this morning and it was hard to get out of our warm beds making me think again of the poor people in the western prefecture of Ishikawa. There are always earthquakes in Japan but it seems like we are never prepared when they strike…
 

12 comments:

  1. So glad all is well with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you are ok - I thought of you this morning when I heard of it

    ReplyDelete
  3. So thankful you are safe, I have friends near Osaka, so am hoping they are safe too. Memories of the March earthquake are with me too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grateful for your safety.

    Sincerely, Helen from Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear that you are ok! Yes, we do come to read what has happened to you when we hear big news from Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year Tanya, to you and Tetsu. It is good to read that the earthquake is not in your area. I remember reading about your experience 12 years ago. My thoughts are with the people in your country who will be suffering as a consequence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad you both are OK. my sympathy goes out to those who have suffered as a result of the earthquake. Best wishes to you both for a happy and peaceful New Year Irene in N Ireland

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you sustained no damage or power outage. Where I live, weather is the biggest danger. At least we get warning of that. I can't imagine living where things could shake apart with no notice. I really can't imagine being caught in a locker room when that happens! Or the time you were in the cave....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for giving us an update. Prayers for those affected. Thanks for sharing all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so good t hear that all is well with you and that your area wasn't affected. I share you sorrow for those in the disaster zone. You're so right, there is no telling where the earth will shake next unless you have cows, dogs, cats and pay attention to their restlessness.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I am so relieved!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.