The hospital stay was actually very relaxing. I got in a routine while I was there the last week... I started the day about 6:00 with 8 laps around the hospital ward and then I joined three or four other people in the day room for Radio Exercises. Before lunch I did another 8 laps around the ward and then spent the afternoon tatting or painting or reading (or napping). In the late afternoon the physical therapist came by for about a half hour of massage and walking and before dinner I did another 8 laps. Depending on the day I would take a shower or have to go for an X-ray, but before bed I got in another 8 laps which usually added up to 8000 or 9000 steps for the day.
Right outside the hospital grounds we passed a couple sunflower fields when we were leaving! Such a cheery sight to see after just being in a hospital ward for two weeks!Another sunflower field. All the flowers were bowing to people leaving the hospital!Coming home I've been hit by the humidity and heat which everyone tells me is so much better than the two weeks when I was in the hospital. The air-conditioning there really spoiled me! Now, Tetsu and I get out for a 20 minute walk at the cemetery across the way at around 6:00 AM but after that I'm rather housebound as it is too hot to go out. I walk back and forth around the living room which really isn't much space.
I was thrilled with my progress in the hospital but I've learned since coming home that life isn't just about walking! There is reaching for things in the kitchen and picking things up from lower shelves and side stepping a dog or cat in my way. There are lots of stairs which aren't that much of a challenge but still, it is a different movement. I am way more tired than I expected to be and have quite a bit more pain and stiffness which can be accounted to the drastic lessening of painkillers that I took home with me (with instructions to take more if needed but which I'm resisting). And come to think of it, there is a lot more upright sitting than in the nice comfortable slightly reclining bed that I had in the hospital. Anyway, life in that way is different.
I have been cautioned about bending over too far for the first month or so to prevent dislocation, and twisting too much and crossing my legs. The crossing the legs is the hardest to remember as I realize how that was such a habit with me. Not bending over means it is difficult to put on socks and shoes and pick things up that I've dropped... Besides that I've been instructed to walk a lot and NOT just take it easy! Also no pool or public bathing until I see the doctor again in a month but I've been to the pool with Tetsu and walked the air-conditioned facilities there while Tetsu goes in the pool and I've used their showers and seen pool friends.
Speaking of friends, I became aquainted with numerous patients at the hospital just because I spent so much time in the hallways walking, and I made friends with one older man who would bring me little yogurt drinks every morning and pass on milk or fermented bean packs that he didn't drink or eat that day... Little gifts of what he had that I smiled at and appreciated.
The day after getting home, Marlene and Kohei came over bearing lunch for us all and we had a wonderful time catching up. I think Marlene texted me every day while I was in the hospital and that was so nice to look forward to.
Another day, a neighbor friend stopped in bringing me a lovely display of preserved flowers that I will keep in my entry.
And yesterday our friends from Morioka, sent me a beautiful arrangement of real flowers as a coming-home-from-the-hospital gift.
Also yesterday I saw M-san and she brought me vegetables from her garden and we even got a bit of sewing in together before the heat overcame the sewing room! We will begin our regular sewing days again if the heat will allow us.
The animals have survived the heat. Tetsu was particularly worried about Cleo our oldest cat, but he is still going strong (and won't come downstairs to the air-conditioning!) John was very happy to see me and though he bonded well with Tetsu while I was gone, he's done 180 degree turn of attitude and sticks by me close and is back at growling at Tetsu whenever he comes by... John's allegience is fickle!
Anyway, I'm back home and still drawing. The sunflowers really impressed me and this week I've been focusing on them.
And my rendition of one of the above photos...
Welcome home! You have recovered remarkably fast and well. I hope you somehow can keep ut the good work in spite of the different circumstances (space and AC). Although you spent so much time walking the corridors at the hospital, you had plenty of time to relax. You had a break from chores around the house, caring for family and pets, entertaining guests, and playing with your stash of fabric... See to it that you have time to take a nap, especially if you feel hot and tired from the heat.
ReplyDeleteTake care.
Queenie
great to hear of your progress. give it another week or so and you will be forgetting the times of not being able to do ....... Irene in N Ireland
ReplyDeleteSo glad you're back home! Amazing what you have done with your recovery and so glad that it was a positive experience for you. I'm sure Tetsu is glad to have you home and funny that John switched back to where he had left off... protecting you and growling at Tetsu. So grateful you were able to share your journey with your friends from afar.
ReplyDeleteBe well.
Renata
Welcome home! It is indeed different being home than in the hospital. At least now you won't have nurses waking you up in the middle of the night to make sure you are still alive. I hope the remainder of your recovery is speedy! I agree with Queenie, ramp up to regular speed and don't expect to go back to full speed right away.
ReplyDeleteHi Tanya. So glad your recovery is going well. You are right.....it's more than just walking. With all the precautions (and movements I use to take for granted) it can seem a little over whelming. Do you have Physical Therapy at home? My husband can't drive and I'm limited to not driving until 6 weeks after hip replacement so I do have PT at home. That really has helped me. I walk as much as possible but the exercises I've been given help to stretch the muscles on the operated side. I find I move very easily after doing them. My surgery will be 5 weeks from next Tuesday and I'm bending and moving so much more. Not purposely but it's easier without feeling the poke in my hip or pain. PT explained the bone cells are growing and adhering to the Titanium in the hip and it takes the full 8 weeks to heal. Still need to be careful about bending but it will get better and better. Give yourself more time to heal. You are doing fantastic. Every few days you'll notice an improvement.
ReplyDeleteIt is wonderful to hear you are back home and I agree, it is very different in many ways from being in hospital. Mind how you sit!
ReplyDeleteLovely sunflowers and your sketches are perfect!
Wishing you well as you continue to heal completely.
Hugs!
It's so great you are home. It sounds like your hospital stay was really positive. I hope the heat abates soonish! Each day is a new day. Lovely friends and flowers.
ReplyDeleteYes, please take care and don't overdo it because you are home. xxx
ReplyDeleteGlad you're home and doing well. Love all your drawings and I had to laugh about John. That dog is in a class of his own and so naughty! I'm sure Tetsu is very happy to have you back. You are very loved by your friends!
ReplyDeleteWelcome Home! Despite the heat, I'm sure you are happy to be home. Love the sunflowers - so cheery. Glad you are doing so well.
ReplyDeleteThat is one snazzy looking hip!
ReplyDeleteI'm very happy that you are home but, I don't know why you resist taking the pain medication that your obviously excellent doctors have prescribed. The rule is to stay ahead of the pain, otherwise you will be slowing your healing. You mention you are tired and achy and finding some movements more difficult now that you are home. Perhaps your body isn't healed enough to forgo the pain medication.
ReplyDeleteThere is no virtue in unnecessary suffering and I really can't believe that your doctors would have sent you home with so much medication that you could become addicted. Please reconsider.
Welcome home! You look wonderful and I know that very soon you'll be feeling like your old self once again. Take it easy, let your body heal on God's time. Your paintings are simply wonderful, you are such a talented lady. Wishing you all the best in your recovery and transition back home.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to know the recovery is progressing, but I second Joanne's comment about pain relief. If you are in pain, you will be less active, and more tired, when in fact you need to be "just active enough", which is tricky to gauge!
ReplyDeleteSo glad that you are home and your recovery has been so successful! I would imagine that each day finds you feeling a little better or able to do a little more. Just think of all the opportunities available to you by fall (and the weather should be more pleasant also).
ReplyDeleteWelcome home. I have been following your progress and you have been doing it wonderfully. Each day will be that little bit better and before you know it, you will be racing around. When I had my hip done, I was given a pick up stick that opened and closed, still use it. Take care. Jx
ReplyDeleteIt's so good to see you are safely home and that all is going well. Yes, there is so much to do at home, isn't there. Both Kjell and I have had hospital visits recently and it is somewhat of a shock to get home and see what all needs to be done. Little things become big things, especially when you are very tired. I hope the transition continues to go well for you. Love and hugs from Ohio!
ReplyDelete