Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Tsukimi (Moon viewing)

This past week some Japanese families celebrated Tsukimi which translates as "moon viewing".  It is no more than spending a few minutes or hours enjoying the light and the orb of the autumn full moon.  Some familes will purchase or make rice cake dango which are white balls of omochi, pounded rice cakes and they might display fronds of pampass grass.  Hot green tea is drunk and people will sit by the window in the late evening and savor the beauty of the moon.
I'm afraid I didn't do any of that and it went by us without me noticing.  BUT I read that in October there is still the chance celebrate the full moon in autumn style so I might put that on my calendar...
I did want to share some photos of the moon that I saw on Mrs. Furui's son's Instagram account and that I got permission to share.  K-san is Mrs. Furui's second son and he and Takumi went to kindergarten together and were great friends.  He is now a doctor in a faraway city but his hobby is taking spectacular photographs!  This is Himeji Castle which is located in the southern part of Japan (though not the southernmost...  I've never been there.)
Appropo of Tsukimi, but not of K-san's photography, last night Tetsu and I needed to buy something at the local department store and we decided to have dinner at McDonald's.  After our order was delivered to our table, I noticed the paper placemat that McDonald's uses in this Tsukimi season.  A Japanese lord enjoying some McFries while looking at a golden chicken nugget in the sky!  The byline says "In the autum night, nug-GET!"

Also to celebrate the season, McDonald's offers a Tsukimi Burger which is just a hamburger with all the dressings and a fried egg, much like Egg McMuffins.  The round, yellow part of the egg is supposed to be the moon!
We ordered too much to eat and so when we were leaving and balancing our left-over nuggets and french fries, the girl at the counter offered to bag our left-overs for us.  McDonald's even has beautiful Tsukimi bags!

And while I'm on the subject of McDonald's I'll reminise about when I first came to Japan as a missiony associate to teach English.  I was living in far away Morioka and this was before the bullet train, and every six months I had to travel 5 or 6 hours to the major city of Sendai where there was a Japanese immigration office to get a visa renewel.  It was a major journey but I always rewarded myself with a Big Mac and fries and a coke after I left the immigration office and before I traveled back home.  There were only a few McDonald's in Japan at the time and though I wasn't a huge fan of the hamburger while I lived in California, coming to the back side of Japan, it was my only brush with American culture every 6 months.  Such a treat!!!  
Here is K-san's most recent moon viewing photo.  You can seem more of his amazing night time photography on Instagram at:  woodstock2795

Instagram  https://www.instagram.com/woodstock2795
  

9 comments:

  1. Once again thanks for sharing the fascinating details of your country's culture. I don't think many Americans these days view or even celebrate the September full moon (Harvest Moon) the way Japan does. Certainly no special viewings or food or fast food promotions! Astronomy has been my hobby, my field of study, and for awhile my vocation, so I'm delighted that this time of year is observed like that in Japan. Don't forget the upcoming lunar eclipse in early November - everyone will have to look up the details for their particular location, and hope for cooperative weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I avoided McDonalds out of some sense of strange pride at first. But I do remember their tsukimi specials which were always worth checking out! Thank you for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photography, and charming watercolour of the moon viewing. McDonald's pay attention to details and spend a lot of effort on marketing. Their placemats and brown bags could be collectors' items!
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hopped over to that Instagram link, an amazing talented photographer.October, plenty of nights to see that moon for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m very much enjoying your sketches. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last photo is especially spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was in college, it was a huge treat to get a McDonald's cheesburger and fries on payday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is always interesting to find out what someone who's homesick lights on for remembrance. In my case - going to see films in English, even though I never really went to the cinema at home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Japanese McDonald's has a great marketing team - FAR greater than the US team! (I say that, but with great ignorance, not having darkened the doors of McDonalds for years; but I do not recall them EVER acknowledging any natural wonder...only the Disney or other animations.)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.