Sunday, September 18, 2022

A Blah week

I'm having a frustrating month...  I had so counted on September being better than August when the heat and my sore hip did me in!!!  Alas, things have not looked up for quite awhile...

So today I'm sitting in the living room with my computer on my lap and I've got plasters on my knees and a pile of pills next to my chair.  Yes!  KNEES!!!!!  And I thought I was bad with hip pain!!!

My tale of woe went like this.  Last weekend I was sick in bed with a stomachache and canker sores and a low fever.  I'd worried about Covid but it probably wasn't that.  When better I went to my orthopedist to get advice on my hip again and I brought home three weeks of more painkillers.  But I also stopped at my regular doctor (we do that in Japan... Just drop in) and poured out my heart and my frustrations to him and of course told him about my stomach problems over the weekend.  He thinks the painkillers are messing with my stomach and he gave me something more for my stomach...  I really feel I can talk to him but my orthopedist who isn't chatty has the ability to take x-rays and MRI.

I did some machine quilting in the middle of the week and had hoped to be finishing that up today but for some reason my knees have started swelling and I can't walk!  That's even with the painkillers (which are also supposed to relieve inflamation.)  And I really haven't been moving much at all!  I promise!  In fact Tetsu has been doing most everything in the house these past couple of weeks while I just watch from my chair or the bed.  I feel pretty worthless right now.

I got binding made for my latest quilt and it would have been a good sitting-down project but I didn't get as far as sewing the binding down so that's not ready for me.  I don't have any hand projects!!!  I can't believe I'm so unprepared!!!  I'll have to go back to tatting crosses which I can do without any preparation...

In the meantime more random pieces of doodling.
Sick in bed.
And the real thing.
Machine quilting.
An art lesson with Shari Blaukopf.
And another.
A sketch of Leiya and Luka.  Well you can tell it is a woman and child but Tetsu didn't recognize Leiya...
And between bouts of aches and pains Tetsu took me to a cafe overlooking the countryside so you can see that not everything has been negative!

I'll try to be more cheerful in the next post...
  

12 comments:

  1. I can remember when you were getting into your art more....... My goodness I'm so pleased you continued with it......I do love seeing it....... The details too......

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I forgot Goodluck with the knees.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. They say it never rains, but it pours. You are being very positive, doesn't sound complaining to me at all. Can you see a specialist at the hospital in Japan? With your hip and now your knees, I really think you need tests to see what is going on, not more painkillers. At least the art is lovely, shame you didn't get the binding machined on for some gentle hand sewing. Take care. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you get some relief soon. Your artwork continues to amaze me, so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very sorry you are having knee and hip pain. I'm a little older than you. I fell off my bike in Jan. 2020 and that's when my hip and knee pain began. I crushed the muscle and ligaments in my right thigh so I wasn't focused on the knee and hip pain. It took over a year of stretching and exercising before I recovered from the crushed muscle. Then I noticed pain in the right knee. Dr.s move much slower here or at least it feels that way when I'm hurting. Finally had surgery for the torn meniscus in my knee. Immediately it felt better. I was told eventually I'd knee a hip replacement. WHat?! I was walking 3 miles 3 times a week and riding my bike 6-7 miles 3 times a week when I fell. Before that there was NO pain. I'm exercising and building more muscle, losing more weight to help the hip, and take Motrin when the pain is intense. Keep pushing for ex rays and if that shows nothing push for the MRI. All the Dr.s agree swimming is the best for hip and knees. I don't have access to a pool but know that is available in Japan. Bless you and know you will get better. Patty in So. Ca.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I am no physician.
    Were you perhaps over-doing the water-walking, etc., in the pool? I could see perhaps that over-exerting the tendons around your knees.
    The hip pain...try to keep doing hip exercises. Either Google, or ask that handsome son-in-law for ideas.
    I tell everyone I know to visit Yoga with Adriene:
    https://yogawithadriene.com/

    It is free, it is upbeat, and it is gentle.
    I have been doing exercises with Yoga with Adriene for many years, and I feel like I am a few healthy steps of many of my like-aged counterparts. Hers are not make-and-break workouts. She has a huge selection of videos for anything from 10-minute stretches to "Yoga for Old People" Ha: my words. not hers. She is out of Austin, Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tanya, I had the same problem with swollen knees and being unable to stabd for more than 20 min. without having to sit with my legs up. As it turned out when the 4th doctor I saw was a rheumatologist (I was 48), I had been put on Celebrex by a docor I'd seen earlier and I had become allergic to Sulfa and Celebrex has a sulfanomide in its chemical makeup. Once off the Celebrex, I was fine. Turned out my new allergy to Sulfa was because I'd developed Lupus and I don't wish that on you! Still, it might be worth mentioning to your doctors.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blogger when haywire for a couple of days so this is late. I know the feeling of being at the mercy of an unhappy body. You think it's going to last forever. You forget all the things you have accomplished and feel worthless. All these things that are happening to you seem so strange and sudden. Crossed medications seems like a possibility, but I just wonder if your swollen joints and inflammation were in response to the barometric pressure and the coming storm. I hope that you and Tetsu and your friends, family, and neighbors weathered the storm all right. I hope that you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you are pain-free again soon. I'm so impressed you even managed to do any painting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry about your knee pain. I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry to hear about all the problems you're having. I wish they would do an MRI and find out what the problem is. I'm sure the cats are happy that they can be with you in bed. Mine love it when I go to bed and they can be near me. Please keep us updated on your health and Tetsu needs prayer also as he worries about you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you are feeling better soon! At least you have the drawing to keep you busy!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.