Friday, August 5, 2022

A week of August

Wow!  We're almost a week into August and I'm just getting around to posting...  Not because I'm so busy, but because there is hardly anything worth about...  

Let's see...  It was hot last week!  So hot that I feared for my animals and I did round the clock monitoring of their welfare...  Cleo and Patora are 17 or 18 now so I worry about them most.  
Patora is an outdoor cat living in the cat house along with Toi who is a few years younger, but I brought them both into their cat-cage where they usually spend the nights.  
At least the cat kennel gets the air conditioning from the living room and it is cooler there than outside.  With no toilet facilities in the cat-cage, I was putting them out for an hour or so, bringing them back in for most of the afternoons, feeding them in the cat house in the evenings and bringing them back into the cat-cage for the night.  
Cleo was a headache of a problem though, because he insisted on staying upstairs which got like an oven!!!!!  Really!  I could no longer be upstairs to do any sewing or drawing or journaling or whatever and I feared for Cleo who was hiding UNDER THE COVERS of the bed of all things!!!  I would bring him downstairs into the air conditioned living room and hold him for awhile but pretty soon he was scrambling out of my arms and heading back upstairs.  I rigged up another temporary cat-cage in the same room as Patora and Toi but Cleo HATED being trapped inside and worked himself up into a frenzy scratching and chewing at the entrance.  And that set John off barking which didn't help anyone's nerves.  I decided Cleo would suffer from an anxiety attack before heat stroke and let him go back upstairs.  At one point I even turned on the air conditioning in the bedroom and put him in there for awhile (and the Japanese government is telling us to limit air-conditioning use because it is exhausting Japan's power supply right now) but Cleo insisted on opening the door and letting the cool air out!!!  Good-grief!!!  I'm only trying to keep you alive!!!
Chip, Mi and John found cool places downstairs in the air conditioning....  Chip, semi-cool in the stairwell.
Mi, looking comfortable.
John chilling out.
Tetsu worked out problems on his computer...
I am working on a major applique piece.
Tetsu's garden, though he actually didn't plant much this year, is overflowing with what he did plant.  Egads!  What am I going to do with all those mini-tomatoes!?!

Right this minute I am roasting them in the oven...  (it is cool enough to use the oven today).  This is the third batch I've made this summer so we are eating these like candy, and throwing them in salads, omelets and pasta dishes!

This must be the fifth or sixth haul of blueberries this summer and I've already given bowls of these away to friends.  The rest are being frozen for later use but the freezer is now filled with blueberries with no room for anything else!  I don't know what I'm going to do with all the green peppers...  Any ideas?
Last, a sketch of a neighboring farmhouse...  loose ink style...  I'm enjoying my ink and paints more and more!

11 comments:

  1. It is hard to keep pets safe AND happy in the heat. Our cat is a nomad, moving from lace to place all the time.
    Green peppers? How about the Chinese dish of shredded peppers, bamboo shoots (tinned) and beef? Chilli con carne with white beans, tomato sauce (use your cherry tomatoes), onions and mince meat, spice it up with chilly.
    That labyrinth looks like a major appliqué work!
    Stay cool. A new heatwave is coming!
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a great fur baby mom. I understand the critters who want to be in their favorite places, regardless of heat. I have one that wants to sit in the sun in the driveway on the asphalt where I can't even put my hand for more than one second. I make her come in because I know the heat has to hurt her.

    Your artwork is fantastic! I'm so very impressed!

    Hugs, love, and prayers for your safety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I roast tomatoes in the oven, too, and turn them into homemade tomato soup. You are certainly hard at work keeping your menagerie comfortable despite their refusal! Our precious Hannes turned 18 this past week, he sleeps most of the time now, has total hearing loss and limited vision but is still has an appetite and remains our devoted companion. You are quite talented, Tanya, and your watercolor and inks prove that out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blueberry pie, blueberry muffins, blueberry pancakes...and a fruit smoothie with blueberries as the main fruit, blueberries over cereal...blueberries in salads... Oh my, blueberries eaten by the handful!
    Summer heat and humidity, very unpleasant. Maybe the heat is less of a problem for your cats than you think as long as they aren't in the sun? My elderly cat loved his heated bed in the summer...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha cats can be so stubborn - and all you want to do is help! I'm in awe of your drawing skills Tanya, they are coming along wonderfully! I'm finally getting back into it, I've had my mom living with me for 6 months now and there's been no time - but now I'm making time for a small bit of daily drawing. My poor watercolor paints have been waiting and waiting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I roast bell peppers and freeze what I can’t use right away. Google Tori Avey plus peppers.
    Sarah in California

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can dry peppers in the sun as they do in Turkey right now in the balconies. Dry them in trays or string them and hang them to dry. There is also a way to make tomato paste with all those tomatoes and salt. People can them to use in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can string peppers and dry hanging in balcony like they do in Turkey right now. You can make tomato paste with salt to preserve or can the tomatoes to use in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, you know what they say about herding cats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It’s now the second week of August. We have decided not to plant as many tomatoes this summer, we are also inundated with zucchini’s. Beautiful portrait of Tetsu.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have missed a lot of your posts with the Bloglovin issues. I hope you find relief for leg pain. Your labyrinth quilt is gorgeous. My sister has sent me a photo of one; I think she was hinting that she wants a labyrinth quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.