There is not too much originality in this project, the fabrics are all included in the kit, but it has been nice to sit quietly in the evenings and do the handwork. The next step will be the pieceing which may go more quickly but will surely give me more headaches because my seams rarely match up as I'd like. I've already cut all the fabric though so now the challenge will be if I can read the instructions correctly! The word on the design wall there is one of my wonky words for my Word of the Year. I don't remember which year this word was for but it reminds me to stick with whatever I'm doing at the moment.... Someday it will get included in a quilt....
Agapanthus.
Iris.
Snapdragons.
While I was in the States, I picked up a book by Isa Downs on Ink and Wash Florals and I've been methodically going through it page by page. Some of my doodling turns out nicely, and some have been flops but this month I've been try to paint one flower a day.
A poppy.Agapanthus.
Iris.
Snapdragons.
Chrysanthemum.
I'm trying to branch out into scenery next... So that will be on my painting to-do list for the next couple of days...
Something that gave me great joy this week was the arrival of the blog book that I made not long after we got home from the States.
I'd done the same thing three years ago after our last trip which had included Leiya's wedding, a visit to my mother's hometown, and Niagara Falls. At that time too, I wrote in my blog in detail and had included my favorite pictures in the posts and then "slurped" those blog dates into a website called Blog2Print. Ta-da! An easily made book! It isn't cheap but we got so much joy from looking at those photos and reading all my thoughts about the trip three years ago, I decided to turn the 12 posts I'd written this year into book form again.
The whole thing is on my blog but I don't really go back and reread posts that often nor do I pull out the computer to show friends what we did, but a blog book is very nice for special occasions!
Not too exciting a life but I'm satisfied and thankful and that is enough!

I am so happy to hear you have books from these trips. You can also pull them out to show little kids in the time to come.......
ReplyDeleteWhat fantastic watercolours you are making! I love the added droplets of splashed paint.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on finishing all those leaves on your quilt. It is getting warmer and the need to cuddle up in an armchair at night with some hand stitching is not as strong.
Good idea to have the blogposts turned into publications.
Keep up the good work!
Queenie
What a great idea I had never heard of a blog book before. I need to go back and do that for my trip to Japan 3 years ago. You have more patience than I do regarding hand work. It took me almost 17 years to complete my hand applique project and I have vowed never again.
ReplyDeleteYour painting of flowers are gorgeous! I unfortunately draw terribly, can hardly draw a square with a ruler. It's the joke in our family. I have several grandchildren that draw amazingly. I'm sure they didn't inherit it from me. What a lovely idea the book of your vacations to the States is! I just received a similar one of my granddaughter's wedding as a gift. So thoughtful of my daughter-in-law to do this for me! Enjoy reading your blog every day still. It reminds me of the time I spent in Japan when my daughter taught English there many years ago. She's now a principal at a school here. Cheryl from Canada
ReplyDeleteI think it is great and know you will enjoy showing and or reading with the next generation.
ReplyDeleteThere is nothing as practical as a physical volume on a shelf that can be taken and opened without a password or an electronic item. Long live the book...but electronic media surely is useful for gathering all those photos.
ReplyDeleteWhat lovely paintings! Love your idea to make a book out of the blog posts. So precious to have those memories.
ReplyDeleteYou are doing an amazing job with you art work!! I love the idea of the book about your trip. My daughter used to make a book every year of their family and especially the granddaughters and give one to her dad and me. We always treasured those books. Eventually the girls will receive our books so they each have one. Getting a book out to show someone is much easier than getting on your phone or laptop.
ReplyDeleteYour watercolor flowers are just awesome! You totally underestimate your talent. The photo memory books are wonderful and I am sure you will enjoy and cherish them. It was so enjoyable to read your blog posts about the trip and I wasn't even a family member or part of the group. Thank you for sharing that with us readers.
ReplyDeleteA real book in the hand is much pleasanter to hold than a computer - that's such a good idea!
ReplyDeleteYour watercolor is beautiful. I think having books made from your blog posts is a great idea!
ReplyDeleteYou are so good at so many things! Your blog book looks great, too. My daughter reads my blog regularly and I got a kick out of when she asked her brother in shock, "What? You don't read Mom's blog every day?" Ha!
ReplyDelete