Sunday, March 6, 2022

Staying pawsitive

I'm sorry.  It seems like my blog posts are getting fewer and far between...  But there really isn't much going on and not much to write about.  I wasn't planning to turn this blog into an art exhibit space but staying home everyday all I seem to do is doodle another art lesson, hand quilt At Piece With Time quilt (so aptly named for these days) and get in a little online exercise.
March 3rd was Girls Day in Japan but in much of Tetsu's organizing of the closet, we've misplaced our simple Girls Day dolls...  I did put up the small Girls Day quilt I made years ago and I found the tiny origami dolls that I once made.
My origami dolls.
I also have a cute Girls Day decorative dish that gets put out for the month of March.
I tried my hand at sketching from a photo I'd taken last year...
And then I did it again in watercolors.  The background turned out well!

Other things that have been going on...

We've been in touch with both our children by Facetime and Zoom, planning a trip to the States for my niece's wedding next month.  We are coming down to the wire on this but honestly, with the way Covid is now in Japan, we really wonder if we're going to be able to pull this off.  Added to that, Tetsu and I are COMPLETELY ILLITERATE about making airline reservations and AirBnB and Ubers.  Situations have changed so that my brother's home no longer is able to accomodate us and they have enough to think about without trying to pick us up from the airport etc. so we want to go stay somewhere near Takumi... and figure out how to get there on our own.  We also want to get to Indiana to visit Leiya and that means airplane transfers and layovers and multiple flights and Tetsu and I just don't know how to do that!  Isn't that absolutely unbelieveable?!  I've lived in Japan over 40 years and traveled to California almost every year since I got here yet, I can't make airplane reservations, I've never reserved a hotel or AirBnb, I don't know how to change planes (non-stop to LA all these years), I've never used a taxi or rented a car.  
In my frustration yesterday I made a bullet journal page that sums up my feelings about struggling through the world as I see it nowadays.  
The Ukraine crisis has put all of us in a state of anxiety that is bringing me down.  I find it hard to get motivated and I hate watching the TV yet feel like burying my head in the sand isn't the correct response either.  
I am grasping at ways to stay hopeful and positive.  It's a start.

 

7 comments:

  1. You need a travel agent! He or she could solve most of those problems for you. The travel agent need not be based in LA. Ask Leiya to contact one there and it can all be setup long distance. Don't miss out on all of this simply out of pandemic despair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your artwork is coming along so well...I enjoy seeing.
    I hate not being able to find things after I have picked up and reorganized them!
    Maybe you could ask Leiya and Takumi to handle some of the travel plans?...they would be able to see arrivals and departures which would better coordinate with their schedules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to work out, myself, how to ration the news sufficiently to remain well-informed while also remaining sane. If I work it out, I'll let you know!

    In the meantime, continuing to create is always helpful..!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe Leiya or Takumi could help you with the reservations and travel plans. As for the news...I just keep praying! I don't feel there is much else that can be done for now. I hope you work out your travel plans and get to see your grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Travel plans are not as difficult as they seem. I know you can do it!

    I check kayak.com for flights. You can get quotes from different travel companies at the same time to compare them. Often the same flight, same airline has different prices from different travel companies, so you can choose. You can also check if the price goes up or down by waiting or going a day earlier.

    Changing planes is not difficult, as long as you give yourself enough time. The airline staff will give you gate numbers for your next flight, or you can check the Arrival/Departure boards that are all over.

    For accommodations, I use booking.com. I’ve booked hotel rooms all over Europe, Japan, and one in Australia, and once in Guam. I’m sure they also do the rest of the US. There are filters to find what type of place you want (hotel, apartment, house, etc.), as well as price ranges, wifi, meals, distance from different places, etc.

    I’ve never used Uber, but on the infrequent time I needed a taxi, I asked the hotel desk person for help.

    In US cities you might find public transportation, but it is more difficult than in Europe or Japan.

    Feel free to email me if there’s anything I can do to help you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always thought your Girls Day decorative dish is so cute!
    I'm excited for you to see Luka face to face!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your art posts. I, too, have been staying at home during the pandemic - 2+ years!. Fortunately, my small business is home-based. But I still have a LOT of extra time on my hands, and I appreciate your posting some "enrichment" ideas for all of us readers to dip our toes in.

    As for travel: I am confident Leiya and Takumi can take care of all your travel plans for you. We two use Expedia for flights, Air BnB and VRBO for overnight stays. These are generally homes that people rent out by the night or week or month. Air BnB homes tend to be less expensive than VRBO. But we use both sites.

    We use Uber as our taxi needs. Check w/ Takumi: there is probably a very decent public transport from the airport to where he lives. It seems most major cities have trains into the city from the airport. (I am sorry: I forgot where Takumi lives?)

    Just ask Leiya or Takumi to take care of all your travel - seriously. It will take them less than half an hour, and you and Tetsu will be travelling stress-free.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.