In fact, this week I even managed to take John out IN THE CAR and we went for a longish walk around a nearby dam. John is not much of a walker and he doesn't particularly like car rides as they only end up at the vets for him, but I thought a change of scenery would motivate him to move a little faster and maybe teach him that cars aren't terrible things.
It sort of worked! John pouted in the car but was interested to find us parked in a new-to-him place and he trotted along happily and enjoyed sniffing. He even got to bark at a few passing dogs. I hope we will be able to do this jaunt again.
I saw M-san yesterday! It has been over a month since we did any sewing together but she texted me to ask if I wanted to see (and photograph) her Happy Village quilt that she had been making before she gave it to her aunt whom she was expecting to see next week. I said "Yes! Of course!" and M-san came over yesterday and we went right back to what we'd been doing before Covid plowed through our prefecture (still here unfortunately but the numbers are getting better.)
Ta-da! My Happy Village is on the left and M-san's is on the right. I tried to get fancy and put an odd border of sky and forest and sea around my seaside village and M-san added birds and a boat to hers. I LOVE HER VILLAGE!!!!! I really felt like I ought to take lessons from HER!!!! Look at those beautiful eye-catching colors!!! Look at her wonderful cut-out trees!!!
It's true, that most of the fabric is mine but I think the last time I saw this I had told her to add rooftops and windows and trees and handed her some tulle and told her to go at the quilting. I certainly didn't expect this masterpiece!!!
The whimsical gold trees add a lot to her layout (my fabric, I'd never have thought to use it this way). The quilting she did is AMAZING!!! I kept looking at both our projects to see what made hers so eye-catching and I realize that she used a much thicker black thread throughout all the overstitching while I had tried to hide my outlines by using a very thin neutral colored thread. Her black thread makes her village seem like something right out of a children's book! I so love this! And she really did a wonderful job with all the window details. BRAVO M-san!!!A colored pencil drawing I did of a sunflower as the sunflower is Ukraine's national flower.And yesterday was March 11, in Japan, 11 years from the Great Tohoku Earthquake. I went back and read a few of the blog posts I wrote after the earthquake and relived my thoughts and experiences 11 years ago. My friend, Lorraine and I had spent the first couple of days comforting each other, there had been axiety for everyone and I was housebound for weeks afterwards. I remember how fabric colors and sewing kept me happy and motivated...
I still keep in touch with Lorraine's family still though sadly she is no longer able to write to me anymore. I see many similarities between how I felt unsettled after the earthquake and how I've felt during this pandemic but there have been so many blessings in-between and I'm sure there are many more waiting for us all.
I love your village ❤️
ReplyDeleteI've always meant to try one of those villages! I took a class with Karen Eckmeier a number of years ago. She is so lovely and she has spoken at our quilt guild. I love both villages and it is so much fun to see how different each village comes out.
ReplyDeleteWow, 11 years since the earthquake! It has been that long since I found your blog and began following you. Still love reading your blog!
I am hopeful that M-san will continue quilting. She has a talent that thankfully you are encouraging. There is a quilt shop near me that has quilting lessons for children. I love seeing their creations and I hope that the next generations do not let the craft die.
I like both of the villages. When I saw them, I just figured they were from two different seashore villages. I saved your post from after the earthquake. Every once in a while, I'll read it and still amazed at your adventure (if that's the right word) of the underground mine. And I'm amazed at the talent of M-san. She must be a fast learner and you are excellent teacher. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThat is a good idea to take John on fun car trips so he thinks of them as good things. Both the Happy Villages are gorgeous. A great use of the tree fabric. Pretty sunflower. That earthquake was really scary.
ReplyDeleteBoth villages are special. Well, I have been reading your blog for at least 11 years as I remember those posts.... you were underground when it happened.....
ReplyDeleteBoth villages are so pretty. I went back and read the post you linked to from 4/1/11. Wow, what a place to be during the big earthquake! What a time that must have been. We arrived in Tokyo for the first time, a few months after 3/11.
ReplyDeleteBoth quilts are just awesome! They look like seaside villages in two different countries. M-san is very talented and it is so impressive to see her projects. Of course, I love all your projects and admire your creativity.
ReplyDeleteI love your villages - past and present. I love your cheery lighthouse. So nice that John appreciated the change in scenery. Hardly seems possible that eleven years have passed since the earthquake. The pretty patterned binders on that shelf blend so well with your quilts.
ReplyDeleteBoth of the villages have worked well. They have a very different feel, especially considering the similarities. Well done to you both!
ReplyDeleteWowza! I have been reading your blog since before the earthquake! I am so pleased that you keep writing and posting. Please do not stop! Your writing, art work, family life and Japanese culture descriptions are valuable to us readers.
ReplyDeleteI am eager to read your posts once you & Tetsu are stateside, here.
And finally: I LOVE John. I tell you every chance I get that you and Tetsu are wonderful and blessedly patient with one of God's creatures who has his own, very challenging special needs. Thank you. You are wonderful.
John is such a beautiful dog! You must spend a great deal of time brushing him to keep his hair so gorgeous. Your village is fantastic. So very pretty!
ReplyDelete