Friday, February 18, 2022

Squirrelly for art supplies!

Though my blog started out mostly about quilts and cats I don't have much to show in the quilting department.  I am quilting in the evenings and I am very glad I have this quilt to work on in the cold winter months.  Upstairs in the sewing room I have been putting together a smallish leaders/enders quilt that should be in flimsy stage tomorrow.

Actually, what I have been doing is a lot of arty things, most of them by watching YouTube videos.  It is a surprise to me how I've been drawn into the drawing, painting world as I have never had much of an interest until the pandemic started.  I always knew that I wasn't artistic, just very gung-ho about making things and not worried about intricacy and the time things take.  But once I began to think it might be NICE to be able to draw, I went at it whole heartedly with the philosophy that drawing something daily can only lead to improvement.  

I picked up the cheapest set of watercolors paints I could find.

I bought a set of 12 colored pencils (not even realizing there was a difference between colored pencils and water-colored pencils and then I signed up for the Celtic Knots class given by Valerie Sjodin.  

I bought a better set of colored pencils for that class, 24 colors! and some pens and enjoyed myself immensely.  

Tetsu said he wanted to buy me an even larger set of colored pencils for Christmas and my present from him was a set of 100 colored pencils.  He had actually wanted to buy me a set sof 100 art crayons but I said I didn't know how to use crayons and asked for the pencils instead...

Then a few weeks ago, while we were in a recycle shop, I came across a full set of 60 artists crayons in a slightly dented box.  YEAH!!!  I stepped into crayon art!  


And then this weekend at the same recycle shop, I came across a NEW box of 60 water-color colored pencils!!!  Another snap purchase!  That recycle shop must be an outlet for a local stationary and art supply shop.  Two treasures to my eyes!

So... what have I been doing with my art supplies?


There is an elderly Japanese artist on YouTube who calls himself Grandpa Shibasaki and I tried following his art lesson using watercolors.  He makes it look so easy.  It is NOT.

I got out my crayons hoping I could control them better than I can control water colors...  Hmm...


Then I tried out my water-color pencils using a technique on "whimsical sketching" I'd learned in an online class with Sandy Allnock.  That was only partially successful.

I had gotten started on all this art because I wanted to add color to my bullet journal so I got out the regular colored pencils and doodled in a whimsical squirrel to the corner of a page.


And finally, trying to remember what I'd learned in another of Sandy's classes on pencil sketching, I gave it another try last night.  

I guess I feel most confident in pencil though it doesn't help with my wanting to learn to use color.  But I have to start somewhere!

15 comments:

  1. full of admiration Your squirrels would lend themselves to applique, so maybe you completely design your next quilt. Think how proud your family would be, mums work from start to finish. Irene from N Ireland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful drawings! Love the color ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Art supplies make my heart dance. Even if I don't use them, I love to have them and look at the colors in rainbow order. I was the kid who always wanted the larger box of crayons for Christmas. Somehow 64 crayons weren't enough and I knew there had to be more colors out there somewhere! Your drawings are beautiful and you should write and illustrate some books for your grandson... He would love them I'm sure, and they would become family heirlooms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy seeing your artwork, although I "arrived" because of your quilts. Your squirrels are identifiable and charming and I expect watercolors are the hardest medium. I doubt your readership will be unhappy... You've become family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing all of your are endeavors. You are truly so very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh, I LOVE your artwork! Those are so cute, very realistic, especially your drawing. Don’t stop!🥰

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you have artistic talent. Please keep showing your artwork along with your quilting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did the same - last year I decided I would stop saying I couldn't draw and do something about it. You've done much more with taking classes and practicing. All of your squirrels are wonderful. I enjoy the joy of drawing and painting supplies. I have a collection now too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To me, your artwork is amazing! Nice finds at the thrift shop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely selection of squirrels. Working with pencil will help you work with tone, and as you say, working on it every day will bring improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!!! You are so very talented. Each rendering of the squirrel is just wonderful. I admire anyone who can draw and have enjoyed reading your art journey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Although I majored in art and taught art in the public schools, in those days we didn't have watercolor pencils or crayons or even such a thing as acrylic paint. My tubes of watercolor paint have all dried up with time. Maybe I need to go back to school...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such fun treasures at the recycle shop. I enjoy reading about all the branches on your tree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such fun drawings! Keep it up, you are doing great! It really is just practice, to find your hand and eye and get them coordinated.

    I took art as a 'major' class in high school for two years, as a junior and senior, and still dabble. Calligraphy is probably what I have done the most of, and a bit of sketching, and 'playing' with colored pencils, and with patterned art (a la Zentangle)... Color play extends into my knitting and sewing also.

    --Jean Marie

    [I went to a Catholic school for seven years, and we were very fortunate to have one of the nuns as our art teacher. Sister Gabe could have taught at the college level, had high expectations (she checked our notebooks to make sure we had gotten all the instructions!) but also a talent for helping her students produce many beautiful pieces of artwork. She also took us through a wide variety of media and techniques - hence the calligraphy - also including drawing (pencil, pen & ink, pastels), painting (egg tempera, watercolor, a bit with oil paints), sculpture (wire, and clay - she had a kiln), portraits, illustration (one senior project was writing and illustrating a story for young kids), mounting/matting/framing.]

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.