The Log Cabin Challenge began when Julie, Carin, Cynthia and I got together at the Tokyo International Quilt Festival in January. Each year for the past four or five year we have given ourselves a challenge (often inspired by what we see at the quilt show) and we have worked on Circles and Mola and Cathedral Windows etc. This January we decided on the Log Cabin pattern as it seemed to give a lot of room for interpretation. I had thought I would try to construct different shapes and motifs from the simple log cabin technique but that never got pulled together. Instead, I came across the Raise the Roof pattern in one of my books and since I am so much better at following a pattern than I am at thinking up something original I just dove in to the rather large quilt....
Another good way to use up scraps and stash was also at the back of my mind.I started the Raise the Roof in March and worked on it through to the beginning of July when I had a flimsy made. I fretted a lot about the quilting and put a lot more thought into the quilting process than I usually do. This quilt had whitish areas (log cabin white side), darkish areas (log cabin dark side), stars and border. That meant I wanted four different quilting motifs with variations where the parts met.
I think I started out with Sulky variegated brown thread for most of the freemotion quilting. I made a few marks for starting and stopping points but for most of the quilting center I didn't mark further. Somewhere partway through I ran out of the brown thread and switched to Sulky variegated blue thread but no one is going to notice the slight difference...
I did have one major mishap when I found I was quilting feathers all in the wrong direction (three sides going one way, one side looping the other way) and and spent two days removing all those stitches.
I also realized part way through that my spray basting wasn't holding and a large quarter of the backing had gotten wrinkled and a large part had been quilted in pleats... Sigh... I spent another day ripping out that section and only made a partial recovery from that mishap... Sadly, there is still a portion of the backing that remains wrinkled... I guess this quilt will have to go to someone who loves me and will forgive the mistakes...
For the border I put my thinking cap on as I didn't just want to stitch in the ditch through all those piano keys. I did get out the marking tool again and measure and mark off triangles in the border and then double the line, do the remaining stitch in the ditch and add some petals within the triangle.
The label I've had in my drawer for years and years and don't remember where it came from... I just added my name and date and the name of the quilt on the side as there wasn't any room anywhere else... The backing is made of multicolored scraps of the same fabric series which I think I used for Leiya's wedding quilt last year.
I hung the quilt in the living room just so I could take a full photo of it... Tetsu didn't even notice that I'd taken down the small boat quilt that had been up there and replaced it with this very large, very colorful quilt that rather overpowers the small space!
As for the revealing of our Log Cabin challenges, I know that Carin is almost finished with the construction of her project and Cynthia has made two or three log cabin quilts, the most recent a baby quilt for her new granddaughter. Julie I'm not sure where she is in her work though she has been working hard on a Coronaville quilt plus numerous other large quilts. The Tokyo Quilt Festival has been canceled however so there isn't going to be a great reveal for our Log Cabin Challenge next year... at least not in person. (I was wondering how I was going to lug this large quilt to Tokyo and back and carry it around the quilt show but that problem is now of naught.) We will have to figure out some other way to show or projects to each other and to our blog friends.
It feels good to have this quilt under my belt and the scrap bin a bit less full!
Lovely quilt. You surely have been productive despite the humidity and disruptions caused by the pandemic.
ReplyDeleteYour quilt looks fabulous on the wall, how could Tetsu not notice that beauty!! So good you do not have transport problems, far safer to stay at home and maybe do a zoom get together.
ReplyDeleteIt's beautiful on the wall just there ❤️
ReplyDeleteI love this quilt
ReplyDeleteWonderful use of scraps, the colour contrast shows off the pattern so well.
ReplyDeleteWonderful use of scraps, the colour contrast shows off the pattern so well.
ReplyDeleteYour quilt looks perfect on that wall! I just love the pattern. Good idea to do a zoom with your friends.
ReplyDeleteThe quilt finish is beautiful. I love the way it fills that space. Looks so cozy, bright and inviting. Hope you can "get together" somehow and show each other your clever work.
ReplyDeleteYour quilt is just awesome!!!!! I love the design, the fabrics/colors and quilting. That quilt needs to stay right where you placed it for a photo. It looks like it was created for that space (and I don't think it overpowers the space. I think it is perfect.
ReplyDeleteThat's a beautiful quilt. And I agree with others who mentioned that it's in a perfect spot. I think it really shines there. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteIt's a good thing we can't meet in person - I am sitting here drooling over your fantastic Log Cabin star!
ReplyDeleteIt is a stunner, and you have put it together in a very short time. I can see you wouldn't be able to carry that size quilt to the Dome, but you could show it to us there anyway - by submitting it to the contest, of course! Then we can all stand in front of it and count the number of visitors taking photos.
Meanwhile, you have found a good spot in your home to have it displayed.
Congrats to finishing the challenge.
Woooww that’s gorgeous!! That’s a big quilt & looks wonderful in your living room!!!
ReplyDeleteWOW! It’s really gorgeous! I love you and will accept your mistakes anytime!!
ReplyDeleteWow, what a beauty! when you bring up making mistakes by machine, it reminds me of the only quilt I ever used a machine for ... and that was piecing. So many tucks and points that didn't meet... hours of ripping, and the final ones that couldn't be fixed got little cats appliqued over the bloopers. My log cabin Ohio star is not behaving and I am trying to rethink before making more squares. It is also much larger than I had intended but too small for a bed cover so I am dithering.
ReplyDeleteI think sharing on line is well suited to the way life is with everything these days on line.
Great quilt. Most people wouldn't notice the mistakes (that you pointed out).
ReplyDeleteThat is a beauty! I think you found a spot for it and Tetsu will notice it (or not) :)
ReplyDeleteMy husband does not notice things either .... once I cut my hair and got a frizzy perm (not a good choice) and when John came home from work I said: What do you think? He looked around around and said: Did you get new curtains? :)
It's lovely! Looks like a lot of scraps were used. Men! They so often don't notice the obvious. :)
ReplyDeleteYour quilt looks stunning hanging on the wall and it looks to be a perfect fit for that space. Once I had a mishap while quilting, to fix the 'bunching' on the back I made a large signature block. It is about 14 x 14in.. I did a drawing and gave a long explanation about life and the quilt. I'm the only one that knows it's covering my folded fabric spot.
ReplyDeleteNow I am finishing up a log cabin quilt. It is like the one featured on American Patchwork and Quilting Magazine for Aug.2020. The logs are 1 and 1/4 inch wide, before sewing, and each block has 13 pieces of fabric. It's 12 blocks wide by 14 rows. I have all the blocks sewn and I'm in the process of sewing rows together. I am so frustrated!!! Ten years ago I made the Dear Jane quilt and loved the process. Now I'm finding small sewing very frustrating. Not sure if it's my age (almost 70) or the times we are living in with no socialization. I'll finish this quilt but then I'm only tackling easy peasy quilts. Patty McDonald
I know I would certainly forgive those tiny wrinkles on the back! Your quilt is stunning! I have that pattern, and now I really want to do it!
ReplyDeleteI have a friend whose longarmer made a wrinkle in the back of her quilt, so she just covered it with a spare block. It really made the back more interesting!
I love this quilt!!! Too bad about the quilt show but everyone needs to be safe. I have a friend who lives in Tokyo that has invited me to come visit and I'd love to come when the quilt show is taking place but I don't know how I could manage all the crowds! Maybe I'll just enjoy the photos all of you take.
ReplyDeleteThat is so impressive! Beautiful.
ReplyDeleteWow it is huge! You finished it so quickly. Your log cabin quilt is so wonderful - I especially like the photo of it on the wall where you can see the whole thing. I wouldn't worry about the back - that is not the part that people look at especially when you keep it on the wall or a bed. It is a beautiful way of using the scraps.
ReplyDelete