Friday, August 9, 2019

Scenery changes

Though almost every day we have had hot humid rain in the evenings (and the accompanying thunder) in the mornings we have been pleasantly surprised to look out the bedroom window to see Mt. Nantai in the distance. 
Yes, the removal of the forest means that we can see the fields and countryside to the north of us and as hoped, Mt. Nantai is partially visible through the remaining trees.

"Are you getting used to the changed scenery?" Tetsu asks hopefully.

"Yes, as a matter of fact I am."

I actually can see the beauty of what had been hidden by my beloved forest these past 30 years (for me).

Mt. Nantai, the largest mountain in our prefecture, is just behind those left trees.  The Kirifuri Range is on the right.  
This photo was taken in the evening just a few steps from our house as John and I enjoyed watching the changing colors of the sky when we went out after a hot day.  
The other day, our friend Toshi-san came over unannounced (meaning that we weren't home!) to see what change had come about and he flew his drone over our house.  Here is the back view of the house.  You can see we are at the end of the neighborhood.  The forest there at the top of the photo is reportedly due to be removed too but I'm not thinking about that and there have been no loggers around for the last two weeks...
Here you can see how the forest was clear cut just past our house...  The rest of that forest is also up for cutting but we hear that the land owner is wavering over costs... The change in scenery may be inevitable but I HAVE learned that one can get used to things and also find something beautiful in the change...  We will just have to wait and see.
In the meantime I enjoy sitting in my sun room looking at the mountains in the distance and listening to birds and cicada
 

6 comments:

  1. I suppose something pleasant has come from cutting the trees....you have beautiful scenery and mountains to enjoy each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once heard that 'the difference between a good hair cut and a bad hair cut is 3 days.' I figured that is how long it takes to get use to the change. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the unique view of your property from the drone photos. It escaped me before that cutting the forest (so far) only affected you and your next door neighbor. Your view of the Mt Nantai and Kirifuri Range is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had loggers clear-cut acreage behind our home earlier this summer; it displaced the deer and, sadly, the loggers left a huge MESS-- it looks like the aftermath of a bombing. That meakes me sad, very sad; but, you're right-- we adjust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The opened view of Mt. Nantai is great. I think I would be more worried about what weeds might take over that open space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tania! I hear about storms and strong winds in Japan. Are you safe??

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.