How about an airport story? From long ago.
When Takumi was in jr. high I think, Takumi, Leiya and I came to visit the States not long after 9/11. Security was high at the Tokyo airport and there were extra baggage checks all along the way. We passed through the first x-ray machine. We passed through the second x-ray machine. When we got to the boarding area there was even a manual check through our carry on baggage. No problem. Takumi and Leiya and I sat down to wait until we were called for boarding.
Leiya pawed around her backpack looking for colored pencils or something to kill the time with when she suddenly pulled an ice pick out of her bag and said, "What's this?"I about fell out of my chair! I have no idea where an ice pick could have come from. I shushed Leiya and stuffed the ice pick back into the backpack furiously whispering accusations at Takumi all the while.
"This was YOUR backpack. What's an ice pick doing in there?"
Takumi denied any knowlege of the ice pick and we held a hurried conversation about what to do. I could envision us confessing to the security personel and pulling out the ice pick and all three of us being hauled away for questioning. We'd already made it through three security checks... Let's just get on the plane and get through the LA airport and home.
I have no idea if that was a smart move or not. For the next 10 hours I think all of us sat stiffly in our seats wondering what was going to happen if anyone discovered us with an ice pick on the airplane. No one did and we made it safely out of the airport and into my brother's waiting car. Before we even got home Leiya handed the offending weapon to my brother who put it in his tool chest where I doubt that it has ever seen the light of day since.
I still wonder how and why the ice pick got into Leiya's backpack and have nagging doubts about the airport security system...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.